We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Island and Santiago

Englishman around...
4 posts
Save Topic
Easter Island and Santiago

Hi

Looking at doing South America later on in the year. At the moment planning to fly out late June to Santiago. Catch a flight to Easter Island and then back to Santiago to wait for a the start of a trip through South America.

The question is how long to spend at each?

Planning to arrive in Santiago 25th June and the trip doesn't start until 21st July. So I have about 4 weeks to occupy before then. I know that flights to Easter Island are limited so I will have to fit in with them.

I can get a flight out to Easter Island on the 26th and I know there is a flight back on the 14th July (or one a week earlier) Its a small island and chances are I'll only ever go there once so is it worth spending all that time there?

Is it really worth do a guided tour, or worth spending a bit of extra time there and really doing the island properly myself.

Also if anyone knows of any decent hotels/hostels/other accomodation on Easter Island or in Santiago for one person...

Thanks in advance

R

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Island and Santiago

I think the ideal time on Rapa Nui is five days, unless you have a specific academic interest. Of course, you could spend more and I am sure it would not be time wasted.

http://www.islandheritage.org/fivedays.html

With the time you have you could easily visit some more places on mainland Chile. I don't know what your itinerary in South America is, but you might head for the north of Chile and the Atacama desert. The Elqui valley, the coastal cities, San Pedro de Atacama, the Andean region to the east of Arica. We also get a large number of sunny days even in winter in the central region. You could see what the weather was like when you are here. If the weather were good you could go to Talca or Curicó and do day trips from there. There is a nice place to stay called La Casa Chueca near Talca and they do lots of excursions in the area.

For lodging in Santiago for one, check out the Hotel Foresta. A search on the search bar on the Santiago forum will turn up information on it.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Island and Santiago

I would agree that 5 days is more than enough.

travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Be careful of the ants.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Island and Santiago

26 June to 14 July would be along time on the island...up to a week would cover all main areas to visit on the island at a very relaxed pace. We had around this amount of time and could go back to some places that we liked.

Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Island and Santiago

Hi,

Yes, you can do the island in 5 days, some people run around and think they have seen it all in 3!

We spent 2 weeks and still had missed out on somethings. That being said, we were not wisked around with a tour guide. My husband and I took it at our pace and enjoyed every minute. We, however went during the time of the yearly festival, that also made it extra special.

Your timing, however, is an issue for the festival, but there is so much to see and do, that you may find yourself wishing that you stayed a little longer.

We rented a bungalow, got up at our pace, ate what we wanted, choose the sites for the day, came back to eat supper, and went to another site, spent some memorable time with the locals, and saw the festival at night.

Beyond sites, there is the beach, museum, shops, etc.

If you are doing this as a once in a lifetime opportunity, try to get the most of it - that would be my advice.

fozziegirl@excite.com

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Island and Santiago

So nice to see you back, fozziegirl!

6. Re: Easter Island and Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:17