We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Topic
Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Hey there!

Looks like I may be heading to Easter Island from about February 2-8, 2008. I think this might coincide with the Tapati Festival??

I was looking for tours to do and came across this one:

http://www.gapadventures.com/tour/tscaen

It seems good, but not sure if the price of $800+ is expensive?

Can anyone suggest a good first-time visiting plan for this time of year?

Would it be easy to go horse riding and sightseeing like the activities in the link above, but organize it when I arrive? OR should I plan everything ahead of time?

Mentioned in this post
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

That sounds very expensive and there seems to be a lot of free time to enjoy things on your own! You seem to get very little for your money.

You can definitely organise things when you arrive or contact a local agency beforehand. If you look at the following website, it has complete visitor information and even a 5 day suggested itinerary. You can read it and at least know where you want to go. If you search this forum there are posts by others who have used local guides.

islandheritage.org/vg/visitorguide.html

Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Hey Molly! Thanks for the link and information, quite helpful! I did think the price was expensive too.

I'm a bit wary as wit hthe excitement of the festival going on it might be harder to tour the island without somethign pre-arranged.

On another note, my airfare I was going to book yesterday went up by $400 this afternoon, but now it has gone back down about $250, wow it is crazy!

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope tomorrow brings cheap flights my way. But if I save a bit of money from a less expensive tour / activities on the island then I won't mind the extra flight cost.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Pacific Northwest...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Hi FunMonty,

I was there in 2007 during the Tapati Festival and even though the island is small and there ARE more people around it never, ever, felt crowded. There are lots of sports/cultural activities going on, many around Hanga Roa within walking distance of most accommodations, and I didn't have any trouble booking tours when I arrived. Be sure to take in all the events at the outdoor stage area - they begin around 10 p.m. after sunset and are truly incredible. Lucky YOU!

I was on Rapa Nui for 12 days and was never at a loss for something to do or somewhere to go. Be sure to see the very interesting musuem to give you a real sense of their history, small admittance fee and English notes on loan. Also, in the small library in town they have a book signed by Thor Heyerdahl but not much else in English.

If you're arriving there via Santiago remember that we Canucks have to pay USD132.00 before exiting the international arrivals area - it's a 'reciprocity' fee, not a visa!

TillyMint

Mentioned in this post
Hanga Roa
Hanga Roa
Easter Island, Chile
Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Thanks TillyMint!

I always see great images of the Moai at sunset or sunrise too ... any tips on best spots to either watch the sun go down or come up around the island?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

You should make up your mind soon as February is peak season and there are not that many flights - expensive or not.

Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Ya, tell me about it! After some madness teh flights were going up up up. Then they suddenly dropped $700 this afternoon. I jumped on it, was ready to pay, then when the final 'window' came up the price changed back to $500 more.

Hmmm. I denied the change. Quit. Started over with same flights. Got to the credit card window.....and POP, no increase!

Scary, if I had confirmed the first time it would have cost me an extra $500. Simply by trying a 2nd time to confirm I saved big bucks!

SO....yes I'm on my way for 5 days! Now to determine where to stay and what to do...

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Hello, you lucky traveler !

In Easter Island there are some guided tours that are cheaper if you book them on site, and my advise is that it might be better if you take guided tours at least the first days, then you can go on alone.

This is a World Heritage site, so you will most probably have to pay entrance fees for the visit to special places. Some of them even do not admit people going on their own, because of bad/sad previous experiences with some irresponsible visitors.

A guided visit not to be missed is a half day to AHU AKIVI (7 moais)+ caverns, which is around USD 25-30, and another half day to ORONGO (including entrance fees), around USD 40-45.

Horseriding tours are also very interesting.

If you stay at established hotels like IORANA or HANGA ROA, the rates may be around USD 150 a day because, yes, it's high season, but, you have alternative places to stay, that offer surprisingly cheap prices. Of course, you must book in advance, always.

But, if you choose hotels like the EXPLORA, the rates climb up to USD 2500 for a double room for 5n.

I wish you the best time in TE PITO O TE HENUA (the navel of the world in Rapa Nui language)

regards,

Jdelapaz

Mentioned in this post
Ahu Akivi
Ahu Akivi
443 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Orongo
Orongo
1,224 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Iorana Hotel
Iorana Hotel
309 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Hanga Roa
Hanga Roa
Easter Island, Chile
Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Thanks Jdelapaz,

It is very exciting. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes after I return and where I stayed. I think a couple good organized tours to 'start' is smart.

I think I will have to skip the $2500 option ;) as nice as it might be!

Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

Hi FunMonty!

We just got back from Easter Island on Wednesday after six nights - you're in for an amazing time. We took 3 tours with Andrea at Rapa Nui travel (rapanuitravel.com) and she was great - three-hour tours were $25 US, full-day $40 US. By doing the two half-day and the one full-day you got a real sense of the island.

For lodging, we fell in love with our place - Te'ora, a sort of three-room bed and breakfast-type inn. Definitely spring for the loft room with an amazing deck and view ($90 US/night) if it's free. Their web site is rapanuiteora.com

If I could pass on one quirky thing that we'd never read in all our preparation for the trip - all white and tan clothes that we wore on the island are now ringed or just covered in red rust stains from the constant breeze blowing around fine particles of the same stone that they made the red top knots from. Who knew?

Have a great trip!

MaineGirl

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
457 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter Island - What to do in 5 days - Early February

How exciting MaineGirl!

I am quite looking forward to it. I have contacted Teora to see if they have availability but it is high season, so wish me luck ;)

I have sent you a private message with a couple of questions as well, and Rapa Nui Travel seems to be getting good reviews here. Did you book directly with them when you arrived on the island?