We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

I am looking for anyone who incorporated Easter Island into a round the world ticket - leaving UK going via Asia, SA and back to UK. What was your route? How much did you pay to add the Easter Island leg? Who did you book with? And was it worth it? Thanks

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

We are visiting Easter Island in August on a RTW ticket.As the major airline sevicing there is LanChile then a Oneworld product is the way to go.The easiest way when coming from Australia or asia is via Tahiti.Unfortunately there are no OW airlines flying from asia or australia to tahiti.However JAL have a codeshare on Air tahiti niue from narita and Qantas have a codeshare with them from sydney.

Because of this you can use a One World Global Explorer ticket which is what we are doing.details of this ticket can be found on the One world site.

LanChile flies from Tahiti to Santiago via Easter Island.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

Thanks a lot for the info

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

In March 2005 we flew to easter Island on our RTW trip. We flew from Auckland to Santiago and then from there to Easter Island. It is difficult to say how much it costs because it was incorporated in the overall cost. We were away for 10 weeks in total so not easy to breakdown. Was it worth it? Yes it was a really interesting place to visit. The statues were amazing. Not too many hotels to choose from and the standard was not very high but satisfactory once you got used to it. We stayed at the Iorana and the views were fantastic. food was good. We heard that some of the other hotels were not as good but that was 3 years ago so things may have changed.

Hope this helps.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

We are trying to work out details for an around the world ticket with One World too....however we are starting in Chicago and going to Guayaquil then Cusco then to Santiago/Easter Island...we had hoped to cross the Pacific from Easter Island to Tahiti and then to Fiji...couldn't work it out with OW...so we are planning on going back to Santiago and on to Sydney then to Bangkok.

Scrapping Fiji and Tahiti all together!

It is great to hear that Easter Island is worth the trip, since it is such a difficult place to get to.

Would love to hear entire itineraries for those who have done the around the world trip and also how the One world pass worked ... i.e. did you actually book flights in the beginning or along route and was it easy to get space.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

We did our RTW with BA and I believe the ticket was call a 4 continent ticket which according to the travel company we booked with worked out cheaper. We flew from Heathrow on to Hong Kong, staying there for 4 nights. We then flew to Bangkok for 3 nights and the had a weeks stay in Ko Samui, we originally were booked to go to Phuket but the Tsunami altered our plans. We then flew on to Singapore for 3 nights. We flew from Singapore to Perth and after aweek there we flew to Ayres Rock (one to avoid in my opinion). We flew onto Cairns and the Barrier Reef staying at Port Douglas.After a week we flew to Sydney for 3 nights then we flew into Christchurch where we picked up a camper van which was our mobile hotel for 3 weeks. We flew out of Auckland and into Santiago then straight back out to Easter Island. It seems that this is the easiest if not the only way to get to Easter Island, although I may be corrected on this. After a 3 night stay we flew back to Santiago where we stayed for 3 nights. Then down to Puerto Monte and Puerto Varas which was the start of our crossing of the Andes by bus and boat. We reached Bariloche in Argentina in 2 days and after 1 night in Bariloche flew on to Buenos Aires for 3 nights. We included a trip up to Iguazu falls which was really good. After flying back to Buenos Aires and staying a futher night we then flew back to the Heathrow. I total we had 21 flights and all together we had 20 minutes delay. So I cannot fault BA, Quantas, Lan Chile or Aerolineas Argentinas airlines. Maybe we were just lucky. I hope that this wasn't too boring but you did ask how RTW trips were planned.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

Thank you. It was very helpful. Funny, once one decides to go "around the world"... you realize just how big the world is... So many places and so little time! I look at your itinerary and think "Oh I wasn't planning on that, should I add it?". We have recently done Australia and New Zealand - although not as thoroughly as you, I think.

Currently we plan to fly Chicago, Guayaquil, Lima, Santiago, Easter Island, Bangkok, Tokyo, Bejing, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Mauritius, London, Aman, Cairo, Paris, Helsinki and Back to Chicago....6 continents.

We will tour Europe via car and planes, trying to reach Barcelona, Rome, Athens to the South and Normandy, Paris, Croatia, Vienna, Pargue and then to Scandinavia and St. Petersberg.

Even with all of this we are opting out of Dubai, Rio and Iceland, as I couldn't get it worked out with the One World desk...only 4 stops per continent (although we could do the Visit Passes). So we may try to put them in along the way.

Did you have all of your flights firm (with dates and times of departure) prior to leaving UK?

I would like to book the first few and then "play it by ear", but I have already found difficulties with hotel bookings at a safari camp we wanted to go. And I worry that we might get stuck in route (there are 4 of us traveling - two paid and two advantage point tickets...).

We travel frequently, but have never undertaken a single longer trip than maybe 21 days.... I do worry that we will just tire of home. How did you find that element of the trip? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

Beachy2 you can get a OW ticket incorporating Tahiti but it is the Global Explorer not the more common One World Explorer.It means you can use codeshares on non one world airlines such as Air Tahiti Niue.So you can fly SCL-IPC-PPT on LAN and then on from PPT to AKL-SYD,or NRT or LAX.

Fiji is harder but can be reached from NZ or Aust.So you could go IPC-PPT-AKL-NAN-SYD-NRT.Or if you didnt want to go downunder then IPC-PPT-NRT and on with your trip.

We have booked and confirmed a Global Explorer in August which starts BNE-SYD-AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL-LIM-UIO-MIA and on round the world.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

We are using Global Explorer (RTW) in Feb next year. Flights are in the process of being booked but Melbourne, Auckland, Tahiti to Easter Island. Then to Santiago before flying to Quito and the Galapagos Islands. Back to Santiago and down to Patagonia. Buenos Aires next with a side trip to Iguazu Falls. On to New York then Paris and 2 weeks in France before flying back to Australia. We started planning the trip to visit our daughter in New York and around the world was cheaper. With the Global Explorer you must fly across the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans so we decided not to waste the opportunity to stop in France!

We may have a problem with 2 flights from Santiago but hopefully the travel agent will sort that out.

London
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

I am also planning an around the world trip including Easter Island, probably for next year.

The small print in the Oneworld global explorer seems to exclude Air Tahiti Nui flight between Pateete and Auckland or Sydney. Please can you confirm that this is a valid flight option?

If it is allowed, did you have to pay more? Thanks.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Incorporating Easter Island in a round the world ticket

RobK the Air Tahiti Niue flights are valid flights for the One World Global explorer fare but not the One World Explorer fare.You have to use the QF codeshare which flights from both Sydney and Auckland do have.Originally we were confirmed on the Sydney-Papeete flight but TN decided to cancel all the QF bookings so now we are flying QF to Auckland and to Papeete from their-being ticketed this afternoon.