We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trading goods on Easter Island

geneseo, new york
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trading goods on Easter Island

I am going to Easter Is. this March 2012. I heard some of

the locals at the market would trade their crafts for jeans,

t-shirts,sneakers, etc. Has anyone been there recently to

confirm this ?

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trading goods on Easter Island

Interesting.

Did not pay attention to see if anyone was doing that at the market but I was only there five days during the low season.

It would seem quality clothing would be in high demand on the island but maybe many of the locals have stuff shipped to them via family traveling to and living on the continent or shopping online with the big Chilean department stores as they certainly have the cash to pay for it.

geneseo, new york
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: trading goods on Easter Island

Thanks for the info. I will not take a lot of extra.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trading goods on Easter Island

They will trade their crafts for food (that is if you brought extra food from the main land). I didn't see them accepting anything else like clothing or shoes.

4. Re: trading goods on Easter Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:21