We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Easter Island

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Easter Island

We decided to book the Lima-to-Easter Island flight in the middle of March and spend a week. Perhaps this will be overkill, but this might be my only time on the island. We are planning to stay at the Hotel Tupa for the 7 nights, in two of their Budget rooms. As far as I know, that Hotel should be adequate for the week and the reviews for it seem reasonable. (I might be convinced to book elsewhere, such as the Tea Nui, if a cabana might be better or if there is a swimming pool)

I saw thinking of booking an all day tour for the day after we arrive, followed by just renting a jeep for the other days. Maybe, depending on what we plan, we may not need a jeep every day, but she seems set on being at the beach as often as possible. Is the Ovahe beach worth the extra trouble to get there? And is it safe, given its relative isolation?

Some activities I would be interested in hearing about would be the boat ride and horseback riding. Is the boat ride only in the morning, or is a trip available in the afternoon? And what was the cost? As for horseback riding, does that just take place traveling along the roads, or does it go somewhere else? I presume that is a half day trip? And what might that expected cost be? I can apparently arrange that through the hotel.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my plans would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ruta Rapa Nui
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Kia Koe Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Green Island Tours Easter Island
Hiking Trails, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Easter Island

The Tupa Hotel is a great choice, I just returned from a week trip there and liked the hotel very much. I just posted a review.

A day tour is a great way to start off the trip. A jeep/vehicle can be beneficial for 1-2 days as well. Ovahe Beach is very nice/isolated and near Anakena. We stopped by Ovahe but didn't spend the day. I would have liked to have spent at least an afternoon there! it is safe, as long as you are mindful about the tides/ocean/rocks. Anakena would be more of a swimming beach if that's what you are looking for.

Didn't do the horseback trip but it's on the north side and is a day trip. The hotel I'm sure can give a good recommendation, or you can check with the tour companies in town when you arrive to compare costs.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Anakena Beach
Anakena Beach
2,240 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Easter Island

Thanks for your information.

I'm thinking Anakena may be the main choice for a beach, just because of the restrooms and food. But, depending on how many people are at the beach, Ovahe may be a good alternative, to get some privacy. All I can do is play it by ear.

Mentioned in this post
Anakena Beach
Anakena Beach
2,240 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
3. Re: A week in Easter Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:27