We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

Farallon, Panama
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

We hope to Visit Chile and Pascua Island in October/November. we are not as young as you all seem to be but love travelling which we have done all our life. Can someone recommend nice and very friendly accommodation with private bath? and how can we visit the Island in the most efficient way without damaging the rest of our bones? (Arthritis is prevailing!) Walking is possible, climbing a little more difficult. Snorkelling very possible but no more diving.How many days would one need to visit the island and do it justice?

Thanks very much for helping if you can

kind regards

Sofiarom

Genova.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

Nobody else answering at this time. I can answer some of your questions as a 65+ person who went there about six years ago now.

It's small so getting about is easy. Five days was enough (it coincideds with the LAN flights).

There is always a sea breeze so it is blowy.

Getting about you can hire a car relatively cheaply. Unless it has changed there is no insurance so if you damage it you pay.

You can see most of the statues easily, the only real climb we made was at the quarry and that was to the summit. The standing statues in the hillside are on a well worn tourist path on a gentle incline. Most are at sea level and easily accesible.

We did a half day tour of one part of the island where we saw, and went in, the caves and visits the remains of the housing. We also did an all day tour taking in the main sites including the quarry. Lunch was included.

The day we hired the car we went later in the day so we had most of the sites to outselves as the tourist minibuses do it in the morning and it gets like a procession around the island.

Can't recommend a hotel or minibus operator, I have forgotten those, but then once over 65 the short term memory starts going !

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,194 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

This is a good trip report from 2009 which is still valid now and has some good tips.

tripadvisor.com/…19047895

There are two sites which you need a ticket to get into. If you buy the ticket at the airport it has a good discount.

Try to be there on a Sunday for mass in the church. The singing in Rapa Nui is beautiful.

Farallon, Panama
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

Dear Oxford 71!

Many thanks for you concern and specially your advice! 65+ is certainly no age if you consider my husband and myself are 72 and 74+! Your report is really interesting and helpful and is quite reassuring as from what I understand it is not too complicated to walk, drive or visit the sites in \\\EI

I got at last a couple of answers and each of them is also very helpful in getting an idea of what to do and how.

We used to live very near Newbury in the Wye Valley in a gorgeous valley called Whitebrook ...when we were in our thirties

kindest regards and many thanks

sofiarom

genova

Farallon, Panama
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

Dear dancing Molly

Thanks very much for referring us to the report sent by people in Toronto which was very thorough and precise with all sorts of suggestions I have read it and although dating since 2009 I am sure not much is changed (at leastI hope so)

We specially thank you for advising us to go to mass on Sunday, it must be a real experience. We love music and singing and we go to church just to listen to the mass being performed.

We intend to spend sometimes in Chile. My husband is very interested in wine (he was a wine importer and is a wine writer) anything interesting that you know of? We shall be exploring lots of guides but it is nice sometimes to be pointed to the right direction

With all our thanks

kind regards

sofiarom

Genova

Grand Rapids...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

A good place to stay is Hanana's Residential (Mata Vai Rahi). There are four different cottages and cabanas and they all have a private bath.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g316040-d490533…

Three to four days is ample time to see the the major sites. I would recommend a good pair of hiking boots as in some places the terrain is flat but rocky.

Hanana lived in the U.S. for 19 years, speaks English, Spanish, and Rapanui, and can help you arrange tours, meals, fishing, horse back riding, etc. She is an wonderful hostess! Her daughter Tonia, who also lives on Easter Island, also speaks Italian and French. You can email jannete@exploreeasterisland.com if you want more information about Mata Vai Rahi or Easter Island.

6. Re: What is the best way to visit Pascua Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:17