We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

When I travelled to Machu Picchu a few years ago I was able to save a lot of money by bying internal Peru tickets from the Lan Peru site. I just did a trial and again if I go to the Lan Chile site the Easter Island tickets are cheaper then the Lan - US site. Has anyone done this recently and had difficulties? A few years ago there were def. complications in paying which a credit card but knowledgable trip advisor people had pointed out the potential pitfalls before I attempted. Thus I was able to eventually navigate through it. I remember one category (the cheapest) being only available for Peruvian residents. Without the TA forum I would have bought the wrong tickets. Any advice or direction would help.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
124 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Make sure your cc has no transaction fees. that would surely add to the cost.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

There are no Chile residency requirements for any LAN Chile site booked tickets. 3% foreign fee is nothing compared to the huge difference in price between the US and Chile sites. Let us know if the Chile site auto redirects you back to the US site when you try to book. If it does, use the TOR proxy to bypass the auto redirect.

Illinois
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

I purchased all of our Chile domestic flight tickets for our April 2013 trip from LAN Chile. The flights included one-way tickets to Arica and round-trip tickets to Easter Island. The steps I followed were:

1) Pre-authorize a foreign transaction with the credit card company.

2) Go online and purchase tickets.

We had no problems at all with this transaction. Your tickets, of course, will be issued in Spanish.

The foreign transaction credit card fee is trivial compared to the significant upcharge you would pay for purchasing tickets on the US website.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Get a local travel agent to buy the tickets for you. They can access the cheaper fares sold in country. It is important to book as far in advance as possible in order to get a good price.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
103 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Also check out expedia.mx for prices. I'm a USA resident but found better prices there than I could get from lan.com.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 03:10
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Better than the Chile site of LAN (assuming we are talking Chile domestic flights)?

I recommend buying direct from LAN over a third party as it is easier to deal with problems if they occur.

Also, always monitor your LAN flights for schedule changes.

Mobara, Japan
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Your suggestion about finding a local travel agent to purchase the tickets sounds good. Can you recommend one?

Mobara, Japan
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Your suggestion about avoiding problems by using a third party to purchase direct from LAN for you sounds good. Can you recommend one?

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
493 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Actually, eeuunikkeiexpat did recommend that you'd get your flights directly.

Additionally, when you book your hotel and tours directly, you will not pay taxes (assuming that the hotel and tour company is locally owned and operates on the island).

Duvall, WA
Level Contributor
41 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets bought from LAN CHILE (not Lan-US) for Easter Island

Can one use the Lanpass Visa on the Chilean site? There is a 20% discount when using this card but it is only issued to US residents.

I don't need another credit card but was planning to apply for it to get the discount. Does anyone know if I can get the Chilean discount and the Lanpass Visa discount?