We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature

I will be in Santiago from June 8 to 15 and wanted to stay in Easter Island from June 15 to 27. However, I just found out that it will only be 50 degrees and colder there during those weeks. As I wanted to scuba dive and snorkel among other activities, that probably won't do. Can someone please advise?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature

I hope someone can respond to this inquiry soon. Is it too cold to scuba dive on Easter Island in June? Is it too cold and rainy and windy to feel comfortable sunbathing or touring? Or is the 50 degree weather mostly at nights?

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature

June is already one of the winter months but (according to Wikipedia) average low is 16.5 °C (61.7 °F).

In practice, temperature you mentioned would be unusual (perhaps it might drop that low during some nights) but it does not get any colder.

However, you should take wind factor in the account.

Shortly: it's not too cold for diving, especially if you'll go prepared, but do not trust your luck (weather is hard to predict, as always).

Easter Island, Chile
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature

Scuba diving is fine during winter, since you'll have wet suit anyway. For snorkeling you'd want to get a wet-suit - you probably wouldn't stay in very long if you don't.

Here's detailed information on Easter Island climate:

easterislandtraveling.com/easter-island/…

For scuba diving, or for renting wet-suit, go to the dive centers:

easterislandtraveling.com/travel-tips/…

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature

Thank you. I am going. I hope for the best. At least it won't be too many tourists.

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature

Keep in mind that a good, trustful source for this kind of statistics about weather is Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island#Climate

6. Re: Temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Easter Island