We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latali resort Vs Beqa Lagoon - WHICH IS BETTER ????

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Latali resort Vs Beqa Lagoon - WHICH IS BETTER ????

Hi Guys,

I have read a stack of the reviews on both dive resorts and it seems 99% of people RAVE about both. I'm hoping' as alot of people say they will come back to Beqa, that someone has tried both to give me a fair comparision. If anyone has any advice- we are a family of 2 adults both Padi cert, my son, 15yr old advance Padi and my younger as yet. non diving daughter. My wife doesnt tend to do much diving these days, so some extra Non Diving activities would be Great (school and village visits for both sound good) . Nice pool would be good - I don't know how important having Air cond. is ? and one review did say the mozzies can be bad but I don't know if that applies to all of Beqa Island ? The plan is to fly in from Nadi airport to Beqa by seaplane for say 5 nites - again if anyone has any advice ? Only other thoughts are Best Dive Team? ( I understand Lalati has recently changed theirs) - Do both go to the same dive sites ? Food sounds like it is very good at both , possibly slightly better at Beqa Lagoon Resort? Don't know which has better (updated/renovated) accomodation.

Any help on any of the above, would be really appreciated .

Sydneydave

Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Latali resort Vs Beqa Lagoon - WHICH IS BETTER ????

Bula Sydneydave,

I have been to both, and I can say that I like them both about the same but for different features. I should say that I have not been to either one for a year, but I have kept up with them to some extent. Both have done pretty extensive upgrades recently, either planned or as a result of storm damage. They dive many of the same sites, but I think that Lalati offers a better house reef (for both shore diving and snorkeling). Beqa Lagoon is somewhat larger and caters to dive groups, although Lalati also has a strong commitment to diving – both liaise with other dive operations for the Shark Dive. I’m not aware of serious changes to either resort’s dive operation, but I do think that BLR offers more boats and has the ability to split you into different groups for special requests or different levels of divers, etc. In my experience the overall divie operation has been more flexible at Lalati, since they are dealing with fewer divers. Beqa Lagoon has recently upgraded their spa, but both offer a good range of spa services. If it is of interest, Beqa Lagoon does offer beach front bures with private plunge pools, but if you plan on sharing a single bure with your 2 kids then I’d suggest either a 2-BR unit at BLR or one of the ocean front bures at Lalati (they have what amounts to a 2nd bedroom with its own entrance that can be closed off. Personally I don’t think that A/C is to important, as there are good sea breezes, but if you are considering going in Jan-Mar it might make a difference. In my opinion, the meals at either are excellent, but I probably would give BLR a slight edge. I like the pool better at BLR, but I like the intimacy more at Lalati. I don’t think that you would be displeased with either one.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latali resort Vs Beqa Lagoon - WHICH IS BETTER ????

We just stayed at Lalati only because Beqa Lagoon Resort was already booked up for our planned dates to go to Fiji. BLR was recommended to us by our local dive shop, and two other dive friends....BLR was our first choice. We are a diving family and have been to many dive resorts on our travels over many years. Also, we had just left a week of diving off the Great Barrier Reef before our stop in Fiji. So, in comparison, our decision hands down is that we would not recommend Lalati to any of our friends. To sum up, it is obvious the Padi resort cerification was given to the previous owners, for the past 2 years it has been under new ownership. The new ownership has let the dive operation drop to sub standard and an unsafe level due to poor and mal functioning equipment, including the boat. We have notified Padi about the situation and experience we had there. If you do stay at Lalati, bring your own equipment and wet suits. We saw a recent post on Lalati reviews that gave true insight to some of the dive shop problems....please read "Some good, some not so good..." posted Jun 14, 2010. We also noted by dates, that all the negatives reviews in on Lalati have come in only after ownership changed hands a couple of years ago. Seems new management is not doing very well and problems are starting to arise. If we had to stay at Lalati without diving, would probably not do so.......it turned out not to be what it was advertised to be. We were disappointed.......glance at the not so good reports, you can pull these up on view posts by ratings...and read the negative reports occuring under the new management.......we agree with most of what is said because of our not so good experience there.

We can not compare to BLR since we did not get to go there, but advise you to go with the other reply you got.......that leans towards staying at BLR, after comparing his two stays at both places. We agree after reading his review it sounds like a better and safer dive operation and resort. We can only say that after our stay at Lalati we can not recommend it to our friends....

3. Re: Latali resort Vs Beqa Lagoon - WHICH IS BETTER ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Beqa Island