We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on learning Spanish

North Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any advice on learning Spanish

I am interested in learning a little Spanish for when I return to Margarita Island so that I can communicate with the local people there, and also on msn. I am sixty eight years old so I want the cheapest and easiest way to do this. I wondered if anyone can help me so that I can speak with the people at Laguna Mar. I found the e-mail address for one of the waiters the other day and sent an e-mail and he still remembered me and one of his friends did too, they were really good to me. I fel a little too old to start night school , but I am dertermined to be able to talk a little to my many friends, I feel so pleased by the fact that although it was last October when we went they still remember me and my daugter and grandson., they are such friendly and well mannered people.

Pefferlaw, Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

WE were in Margarita Island in March, and I believe the locals genuinely appreciated it when Spanish was attempted. We printed out some basic Spanish Venezuelan phrases from the Internet - just google it. It really helped a lot in communication.

Caracas
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

you could try downloading a spanish course in mp3 (podcast).

you can also try the BBC course:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/

good luck!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

I'm doing a Spanish course, which is a night class run by my local authority, and I would highly recommend this as a way of learning Spanish (or any language). The age of students in my class range from 32 to 75 so you're never to young or old. I think Senior citizens can get the course at a subsidised price as well.

The BBC online course mentioned above is also available in book form and comes with DVD or CD and available at most book stores.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

Hi Readyforoff,

My husband & I learned Spanish on the internet for free. Go to babelfish.com This site has every language imaginable. I'm sure you'll be conversing with your friends @ Laguna Mar in no time. You can also translate a letter to e-mail or print & send by post. Let me know how you like it. It's so nice that you are taking the time to learn Spanish. You will probably be speaking fluent Spanish by the time your next visit rolls around. We also agree whole-heartedly that the people on MI are very super nice.

Enjoy your lessons, Mary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

Take a course! In Toronto we have several places dedicated to learning spanish language and culture. I went to a place in Toronto called the Spanish Centre and it was great. Classes were small and the students were from a wide range of ages and backgrounds. Didn't feel out of place at all. Perhaps there is something similar in your country. Forget about regular schools such as colleges or universities because it would be a hit and miss scenario.

If you don't want to take a course then here are some websites I use on a regular basis.

The best one is www.studypanish.com! Lots of free stuff and the material is very good.

Others that are good...

http://www.donquijote.org/ - check out the spanish language area in the resources section. They also have a spanish word of the day (Palabra del dia)!

http://www.spanish4all.com/

http://www.gamequarium.com/spanishvocab.html

http://www.lingolex.com/spanish.htm

http://www.lingolex.com/accents.htm

Refererence sites...

www.wordreference.com

www.freetranslation.com

Also you should get books and audio tools such as CDs. Play the CDs in your car while you drive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

Here is a page that will help you to learn the alphabet and its pronunciation.

www.spanishspanish.com/alfabeto_ipower.html

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

U could try the insituto cervantes not sure where your nearest one is but i no theres one in manchester. went there a few times for help with my spanish doin my exams and they were really helpful

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

Hi Readyforoff,

I have used Michel Thomas' cd's to learn French (ok I already had a basic knowledge) but he teaches every day language and his method is to just listen and repeat - no writing or revision. I'm sure you'd pick up enough to help you converse with the locals. He teaches French, Spanish, Italian & German and I got my cd from WHSmith but you can buy it cheaper online.

Whatever way you decide to learn, Go for it girl!!

Jameos xx

North Staffordshire
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

Jameos Hi Jameos, I have started to learn Spanish with a phrase book and a CD, and have written my first e-mail my waiter friends at Laguna Mar, have not had a reply yet, but they do try to speak to me on msn, I think they will be very surprised, I have got a long way to go yet but will get the course you mention from W.H. Smith, I have also had a look at a course on the internet, I am determined that I will learn a little and my grandson Jordan who is nearly ten years old is also going to learn it, he spoke a little to one of the reps who Lyn made friends with from the Kids Club and she was also part of the entertainment team, she was very pleased with how Jordan tried. We will shock them all, they are lovely people, I am glad somebody is encouraging me although I am sixty eight, I am quite enjoying it really, it is something I have wanted to do and we are hoping to go back in October this year, only six months to go, I cant wait.

North Staffordshire
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on learning Spanish

I want to thank all my friends on Trip who have given me encouragement to learn Spanish, I am hoping to be able to converse with the locals this year when I go, and as I have told Jameos I have sent my very first e-mail to my waiter friends at Laguna Mar, I have told them to try to learn a little English and they are really trying, we just have a good laugh on msn, it is nice that they make the effort to get in touch with me and remember the three of us, I am not doing a Shirley Vaentine. Thanks everyone. just trying to keep my mind young and look forward to going in October.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island