We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prison

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Prison

I have heard that there is a prison located on Margarita Island. i was wondering if anyone knew the name of this prison and where it is located?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prison

The prison was pointed out to me during my last trip. I don't know its name but if I remember correctly its located on the south side of the island just west of Porlamar.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prison

I recently read "In Shadow of Papillon: Seven Years of Hell in Venezuela's Prison System", but for some reason can not remember the name of the prison........it's driving me nuts!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prison

Hi, See below, the prison was called El Dorado. Hope this helps. It is awful when you can't remember something!

Seven years of Hell in Venezuela’s Prison System.

Following the loss of his business and his home, Frank Kane made a catastrophic decision to smuggle some cocaine out of Venezuela. Almost inevitably, he and his girlfriend, Sam, were caught.

The price they paid was a ten-year sentence in the hell of the overcrowded Venezuelan prison system, notorious for official corruption and abuse, and rife with weapons and gangs. At one point, Frank was held in the remote El Dorado prison, better known as the former home of Henri Charrière, or Papillon. He witnessed countless murders as gang leaders fought for power and had to become as ruthless as his fellow inmates in order to survive.

Eventually, in an attempt to dull the reality of the horrendous conditions, both Sam and Frank succumbed to drugs.

After enduring years of systematic beatings by the guards and attempts on his life by inmates, Frank broke down more than once. He lost over fifty pounds and was riddled with disease. Somehow, however, he found the strength within himself to survive and was eventually released in 2004 after serving seven-and-a-half years of his sentence. During the long walk back from hell, Frank decided to tell his story.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prison

The El Dorado prison is in the far south of Venezuela in the Amazon.

The prison in Margarita is called San Antonio and it also has a number of foreign nationals jailed who figured it would be a wonderful idea to smuggle cocaine out of Venezuela.

It is a terrible place as are all jails in Venezuela. The criminal justice system is so slow & overcrowded that well over 50% of all prisoners held have not had a trial. In some prisons the number is as high as 80%.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prison

Hi Playa El Agua,

I stand corrected lol. I hope no-one ends up putting a review of any of these places on here!!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prison

Thanks Playa El Agua! That is the one I was thinking of!

bristol uk
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Prison

It's called San Antonio military prison. Apparently It's run by inmates (some of them armed????.) Not the guards. The prisoners rely on their family to feed them. I passed it a few weeks ago whilst on holiday. It's a very harsh place to do time, you really dont want to end up there.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prison

I believe this is the prison that the British man and his estranged wife are being held for trying to smuggle a large consignment of drugs off the island in February (they were supposed to be on my flight!!!)

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prison

Yes, San Antonio (MI) is a very interesting place and not unlike many in central and south america where corruption is rampant and most civil liberties disreguarded. The lack of state or gov't funding affords the offenders/inmates to control most prison systems it seems, and the national guards only patrolling the perimeters for any attempts of escape. I believe all or most foreigners housed in MI have allegedly committed their crimes in the jurisdiction of MI and San Antonio allocation for lockup and sentencing. I also know that many countries embassies also visit the prison monthly and give some form of compensation for each citizen housed there for their protection and food allowances as well! Ever watch "LOCKED UP ABROAD" on National Geographic.....eye opening to say the least!!!!

Still wondering what ever happened to that British couple with 4 children caught early this year? Did they both get sentenced or was the ex-wife released or in fact given more time for not confuses to what she alledges knew nothing about?

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prison

The British couple are still in San Antonio prison awaiting their trial. At the initial hearing the judge decided to keep both in jail until the hearing.

Last week the Italian guy that was caught drug smuggling late last year was given 8 years, so perhaps the trial will come soon for the British couple. Who knows!

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations