We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

Please see my other posts this is happening as we speak - so please be very careful withoyour cards? I thought it wold not happen to me - it happened at the cash machines in Sambil mall It could happen to you - Peter

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

Don't use debit or credit cards here if for no other reason than it will cost you more than 50% over what you can get for US$ cash.

Caracas
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

To everybody who read this: Don't use credit/debit cards at ATMs in Venezuela. There is a 50% chance it will be cloned. Read my post about it in "Laguna mar the truth" (or something like that, sorry).

I'm sorry it happened tou you, nobby1028.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

This was posted by Sandybeach23 in another thread...

A well-seasoned traveller would excercise great caution when using debit or credit cards abroad. Even at home for that matter. There are devices available all around the world that thieves slip into the slots of debit machines. When an unsuspecting cardholder puts the card in the machine the device will read identifying info and record the PIN that was entered. The unsuspecting cardholder is not given any money but thecard is returned. Later on the theives retrieve the device and read all the info that's been gathered and use this to produce copies of the original cards. The cards are then used to withdraw money from accounts. The banking industry calls this "SKIMMING". This is a big problem EVERYWHERE. In North America banks have special divisions which monitor debit card machines for SKIMMING operations. I'm sure they so the same in the UK. If you do not get money from the machine then check it out very carefully for one of these devices. They can be spotted if you're looking for them.

There are other methods of gaing card information but this is one of the more popular ones among theives.

Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

Thanks for the advice very helpful I hope anyone who reads this passes on this information to other travellers to the Island. The Mall is modern and bright with many ATMs - it has taken to today to stop the transactions which have cost me £2500 - not alot but enough to make thigs hard for a while. We are not experts if we were they would not get away with it but as I said it was reported that on the mainland 5 in 10 cards have been cloned?

Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

Just a quick update for your own protection - The last amounts of money came out today after telling the bank on Monday 23rd July - so nearly 8k total on both cards. I did silly thing - when my debit card was rejected I put my credit card in the same machine - this time got money but it cost me alot!!!!!!! So please be careful this was in the main mall outside a large bank? so it can happen to anyone - please remember my tail and dont let a minority spoil your holiday when you return home and find the money gone. The bank at the time was closed as the mall was closing it was about 2100hrs on a saturday night, otherwise I would have used the macnines inside! Please take care.

6. Re: Credit Card and Debit Card Theft Margarita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations