We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

New York City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

I'm flying into Porlamar via Trinidad from the US in a couple of weeks and I'm a little worried about my transfer time in Port of Spain. I'm scheduled to arrive on an American Airlines flight at 1:25pm and then depart on Conviasa at 3:05pm. I've been told that I have to go through customs in Trinidad--even though I'm not leaving the airport--and then check in at the Conviasa counter before boarding. I'm beginning to quesion whether, even with no delay on the flight in, 1hr 40minutes is enough time to make the Conviasa flight. I won't be checking any luggage.

If anyone has any experience in this area, please let me know what you think.

MrZ
Margarita Island
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

Plan on an over night in Trinadad. Even IF your flight is on time you will not make it. Customs there will take you 2 hours!!

Port of Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

I live in Trinidad and travel all the time between the Us, Trinidad and Venezuela. Generally customs does not take two hours, but on the week-end days it can be tricky. If you're arriving between Monday to Thursday, things tend to be relatively quiet. You should be more concerned about the timing of the flights themselves rather than an overly long customs wait, especially, like I said if you're coming in at the week-end. If you have concerns e-mail me at Jacquilei@hotmail.com.

New York City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

I was able to find an alternate Caribbean Airlines flight which arrives in POS at 11:55am, thus giving me 3hrs 10minutes between my 3:05pm Conviasa flight. I assume this should be enough time.

On my return connection in POS, I'm schedulued to arrive on an Avior flight at 11:45am and depart on American Airlines at 2:35pm, giving me 2hrs 50minutes between flights. This was the biggest layover I could get. I'm hoping this should be sufficient.

I would love to hear any thoughts/tips on my itinerary...although there's no going back at this point!

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

Just a word of advice. I flew Avior from Porlamar to POS and had more than 2 hours before my Carribean Air flight left for Toronto. The Avior flight ended up leaving 2 hours late for no apparent reason (apparently they decided to combine my flight and the later flight into one - i was also told by another passenger that this happens often). We missed our connection home and had to spend the night in POS. You may want to prepare for an overnight in Trinidad just on case.....

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

I flew in a few weeks agi vua Trinidad and granted, I had much more time between flights but it only took me a couple of minutes to go through customs, including being pulled aside for a cursory bag check...there was no line. The bigger problem was that Conviasa had cancelled my reservation to the island.

Best of luck.

New York City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

I got through both ways with absolutely no problems--judging by what I've read about the Caracas airport, I highly recommend going through Trinidad. Margarita was phenomenal!!

canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

We are flying into Trinidad in a couple of weeks from US and I am having trouble booking a return direct flight from Trinidad to Margarita Island. How do I do this?? We live in Canada.

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

For Lee Canada:

My problem was that no one in Toronto can ticket for Conviasa. I even called Conviasa several times to explain the problem and they assured me my flight was booked and I just had to pay for it in Trinidad since paying in Toronto or even on the phone with a credit card was impossible. When I showed up in POS, needless to say it was not booked. I paid a little extra for an on the spot booking but it got done.

You can however book from Canada with Aeropostal. It costs a little more, stops in Caracas I believe but is a viable alternative.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

leecanada - you can book online with Avior Airlines with no problem. However, as i noted above they are not the most reliable in terms of departing on time so make sure you have LOTS of time between any connections you may need to make.

10. Re: Port of Spain, Trinidad - Airport Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 09:22
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations