We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shops at Laguna Mar

Cardiff
Level Contributor
584 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
shops at Laguna Mar

We are going to Laguna Mar in November and always like to keep our fridge/mini bar stocked up with water, beer etc: Are there shops at Laguna Mar and if so what type of things to they stock. If not, how far would we have to go to the nearest supermarket?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

There are convience shops in each tower. There you can get water, pop, chips, candy, liquor and beer. You can also get things like suntan lotion, souvenirs, etc. There is a huge supermarket by Sambil Mall which is about 10 minutes away by taxi. There you can basically find everything. They also have a large selection of liquor, wine and beer.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
584 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Thanks for your help mig-admin. Any idea how much the taxi fare to the mall is? And are there any good restaurants near by? It sounds like the food could be a bit "hit and miss" at the hotel, so it would be good to know that there were a couple of good restaurants/bars close by if it gets a bit too much.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Taxi to the mall is about £3.00 each way, or something very close. It was 2 months since i was there, so cant really remember...

The little shop in the south tower has most things that you want, being honest we only bought a little bit of chocolate and some crisps throughout the holiday, just so the little one could have a snack when she wanted - as it is a long time to wait for a 5 yr old until 7:00pm for there tea. I just walked down to the lobby bar and got a couple of beers to take back to the room

Cardiff
Level Contributor
584 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Thanks for the reply bonkeydave. Would they fill up our insulated mugs for us? And can anyone let us know about local restaurants? If the food is as unreliable as it sounds like, it would be good to know that there were a few alternatives. Thanks in advance for any help.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
122 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Hi

Got back from Laguna Mar 10 days ago

The food is fine - its not as bad as some people make out. You can book the a la carte twice each week and the choices are good. In the main air conditioned buffet restuarant in the south tower there is always something to eat, it may not be piping hot as they use "bain marie" hot water trays under the food but its edible and we didn't have an issues

The bars and restuarants will fill up bottles or flasks and if they are busy there are usually water jugs around. On each floor of the hotel near the lifts there are also ice machines and water coolers which are sometimes working although these were prone to breakdown at times

Locally near by are Hooters bar which serves hot chicken wings, chips, burgers etc for around £4, Hard Rock cafe which has a huge choice and is just as cheap, and then are lots of other smaller bars and restuarants, including a McDonalds if you really want that stuff. I'd say go with an open mind, and if your really not happy tell either the hotel customer relations people or the First Choice Rep - Carlos/Gareth and they will try to put it right

Have a super trip - my tan is fading already!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Thats a real positive comment regarding the "bain marie" hot water trays !!!, back in july they used oil burners below the food trays - which in all fairness where not upto the job. The hot water trays are so much better and keep food alot warmer for longer.

This sounds like such a positive move by the hotel, i am so sure this has turned around issues which i and other people had, although i have never stated that it spoilt the holiday - yes it was an issue, but did not impact the overall holiday.......

The a la carte food is great and the steaks are fantastic, such a shame you cant eat there every night !

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Sambil Mall has a sports bar called Memphis which has great fajitas and there is a mexican restaurant located across from the Hardrock cafe. In the same area you can also find a sushi restaurant and a restaurant which has very good salads.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
584 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Hi bigbertha,

Thanks for the very helpful info. It is really reassuring to hear that the quality of the food in the hotel is starting to improve. It was worrying us that there had been so many negative comments about it. We aren't expecting 5* haute cuisine but consistently poor quality food has spoilt one or two holidays for us in the past (Cayo Coco/Warsaw) and one of the reasons we booked this particular hotel was because of the good ratings for the food.

Good also to hear that they will fill up our flasks at the bar. Well you wouldn't want a warm one would you!

Hooters and the Hard Rock sound like reasonable alternatives if it all gets a bit 'samey'. Are there any Venezuelan restaurants nearby? Any you'd recommend?

Sorry to hear about the tan, there's always next year!

@bonkeydave: mmmmmm steaks!!

Thanks again for all your great help and advice

MrZ
Margarita Island
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

NONE1 you asked "Are there any Venezuelan restaurants nearby? Any you'd recommend?"

What type of food does your family like?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
584 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shops at Laguna Mar

Hi MrZ,

It will be just my wife and I going to Margarita in November. Whichever country we go to we always like to try the local restaurants and we've nearly always ended up with some great meals.

My wife tends to pick mostly chicken dishes in restaurants, whereas I will eat just about anything! My favourite though is good steak with/without a sauce, any grilled or fried meat and seafood, especially shrimp and lobster. We both like all kinds of vegetables/rice and, occasionally, well cooked chips (not processed potato fries). We have also both tried and like many different cuisines, from well cooked traditional British fare to Indian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Malaysian, Thai etc So I am sure that Margarita can offer us some good tasty food.

What is the Venezuelan National dish?

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island