We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Napanee, Ontario
3 posts
Save Topic
Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Folks:

My wife and I had a blast at the Dunes (Doo-nez) over Christmas and New Years (1st time, we're around 45). We were at building 36 which is beside the main entrance, but we usually walked instead of taking the trolley (5 min turnaround for the bus, 7 minute walk). The room was fine and clean (hardly there), we left tips every now and then, 5000 bs. At the end of our two weeks our legs were sore from climbing the three floors of steps.

The grounds are pristine other than the 300+ rooms they're building right now. The food in our opinion was excellent, there was a good variety all week long (themed), but even when they started over the next week, there was something different.

Luciano's, the al a carte restaurant, has the best tomato soup known to mankind. The very good selection of appetizers and entree's was impressive. The Christmas Eve and New Years Eve parties were great.

I found the liquor better than in Cuba and Mexico. The beer was similar and tasted watered down compared to Canadian beer (my standard).

We met two fabulous couples, one from Canada and another from Sweden whom we spent the majority of our time, other than the great Jeep safari we went on with a guy named Luis.

The vacation is quite cheap once you get here, as long as you change your US$ on the beach or at a flea market (you get asked all the time). You end up getting double+ the bank or hotel rates of exchange. The jeep safari ended up costing $25 US for a 9 hour day.

The staff was fantastic and looked after all our needs. Francisco at the breakfast/lunch (main) restaurant was especially accomodating, great guy.

We intend on going back to the Dunes next Christmas and New Years but with more family this time.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Glad you had a good time. Have to agree about the tomato soup. Wonderful!!!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Hi

So you would highly recommend the Dunes for my Honeymmon!!, so many poeple have slated this place and now i am getting very nervous about going... help!! and thank you.. am going on 21st May this year..

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Ziggers, great post. Who did you have for your 9 hour safari jeep tour of the island??? Should we bring only $50 and $100 US bills as well as many smaller for tipping of course. How did you change your US$$$ on the beach or flea markets? You are talking about store owners verses individual people right???????? thanks

Rowly and Patti

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

We are going to the Dunes Jan 23rd and wondered if you could tell me if they have wireless internet? We have tried to find the phone number to call them but can't seem to get through. Did you happen to drink the red wine? Thanks for your help.

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Hi, yes there is internet at the hotel, but it is in a little internet cafe near the pool. The wine, red and white is really good, some of the best we have had at an all inc.

Margarita Island...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

hello Rowly and Patty

if you want good exhange rates bring $50s and $100s. Smaller denominators are useless to the people here since they have to accumulate them before exhanging them. It would be best to tip in BFs. The people show great considering to the thought but they would appreciate their currency.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Hi Ziggers,

Glad you guys had a great New Years. Question, what was the cost of your Safara/Jeep Trip in Bolivar $$$$ based on $25 USD. Thanks

Napanee, Ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

Folks:

There are wireless hotspots at differant areas of the resort, not in your room, but the beach bar, smaller round pool and at the bar behind the main lobby.

The Jeep safari, we booked at the travel agent in the hotel, was I believe was 130,000 Bs. (130 BsF).

While we were there, there was a wedding and it appeared that the hotel put on a good venue.

Look for Frank if you'd like an excellent tequila margarita.

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

HI,

Just read your post,Seems like you had a great time,we are going there for christmas and new year,arriving on 21st December.A few questions if you dont mind.

What was the weather like at this time of the year.

Are the bars open late,especially newyears eve as it is my birthday.

What is he entertainment like.

We wont be spending a lot oftime in the room,just like you,but what are they like,is there an iron/ironing board.

Could go on asking questions,if there is anything else that you could tell us about the place would be great.If you do go this xmas,you never now we could have a drink,always up for a pint (same age group)

Maggs

10. Re: Dunes Margarita Christmas/New Years 07/08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island