We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

theft from rooms/safe

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
theft from rooms/safe

going to lti costa caribe soon,was reading a few reviews regarding missing money,passports,etc..

what is a person to do,carry all belongings,money,passports at all times? very worried about this,any suggestions???please.

Maracay, Venezuela
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: theft from rooms/safe

Actually, you should carry your money and ID documents with you: why leaving them behind when you might need them? I guess some hotels might allow you to carry the key with you while your belongings are still inside the room. Anyway, just let the hotel staff know your concerns politely.

Margarita
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: theft from rooms/safe

Don't venture out with your passport. You are vacationing, perhaps drinking a bit, you are going to be near water, etc.

Make some photocopies of your passport (the page with your photo and passport number). These will be fine as ID on the island, and you won't have to worry about losing the original.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: theft from rooms/safe

Mar Guide is right on here!!!!! Please don't carry excess $$$$ or passports..... not required and the safest bet! We had a blast on MI... first time and will go back in a heart beat!!!!!! Just beware....

R&P

Northern Ontario
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: theft from rooms/safe

We returned from Margarita Island and stayed at LTI. The trip was great and Island is very beautiful. Very safe to travel alone by taxi to Jaun Grieg. The resort is safe. The gun shots that have been talked about I know nothing about that and I was there the same time this apparently happened. Gun shot???? maybe someone slaming a garbage can lid. We did however have some money taken out of our room. Our fault for leaving money in the room in the first place. When our room is being cleaning daily it's left open during this time and sometimes with no maid inside as she might be in another room. So keep your vaulables with you at all times (Passport, Cash, etc) Everytime we went to the beach we brought a small carry bag with camera and my wallet with our passports but kept our spare cash in the room....duh. The Island and resort is very safe. Have no worries and enjoy

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: theft from rooms/safe

Sorry to hear that. did your room not have a security safe to store your document, $$$$$, safely?

Bridgwater,Somerset
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: theft from rooms/safe

Just got back Mar24.We heard from Finnish guests that there rooms had been broken into.All rooms were on the ground floor and guests told of stories of security men seen peering through the doors and not thinking anything of it and then a couple of hours later things were missing from their rooms.ALL items taken were things left lying around and not in the safe.Lesson-pay $2 a day for the safe and the hotel take responsibility.Also the hotel were trying to keep it quiet and not involve the Police thinking the incidents would stay with the Finns but English is a common language.We had a safe and a BRILLIANT holiday.

New Brunswick Canada
Level Contributor
760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: theft from rooms/safe

When anything is stolen you should always insist on police involvement and watch the management squirm (sometimes they are involved). They tell you the police are bad but they are there to protect the tourist industry and will investigate it, you may not get your stuff back (I did, read my review).

They generally hit your room or steal stuff laying around on your last day or two so you don't have time to insist on getting police involved but the police are always near the beach.

If they keep getting away with it they will keep doing it. Also make your tour rep aware of any such problems as they generally write reports on the resorts that will affect their ratings.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: theft from rooms/safe

If hotel room safes do not use a key block then I would be very concerned about using them. This means the key is directly associated with the safe and someone with a copied key could easily gain access the safe. Personally, I would rather not use these types of room safes and I would never pay for them.

I don't know if "key block" is the correct term but I'm referring to a device with a key which you get from the hotel desk and is inserted into the safe door. The key is associated with the device rather than the safe so it would be much more difficult for a copied key to be used.

9. Re: theft from rooms/safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island