We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Network Coverage

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phone Network Coverage

I know that 3 network doesn't work in Margarita. Anybody any ideas what networks work and what sort of phone I need (quad band or tri band) was thinking of buying a cheap pay as you go, so that I can use this while away.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone Network Coverage

If you want a phone for the island a cheap pay as you go is a good option. The CDMA phone I bought in March cost me about $25us and it was activated before I left the store.

Two companies are operating GSM networks.

Digitel has an GSM 900 network.

Movilnet is setting up a GSM 850 network. I'm not sure if its operational yet.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone Network Coverage

Tri bands work no probs, when we were there in July Orange also didnt work, I'm with O2 and they worked fine :)

sunnylassy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone Network Coverage

We went few weeks ago to the Dunes, and you're right - my 3 phone didn't work, but my husbands did and he's with Toucan.

There's an internet cafe there and it's very cheap to use, I kept in touch with family/friends that way.

Have a great time

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone Network Coverage

@mig-admin

Movistar is also operating currently a GSM network, so you have another local option, the frequency is 850.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Kent
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone Network Coverage

Hi, I always take my Quad band vodafone mobile and it works fine. I only use ito to text though as mega expensive to receive or make calls from there.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone Network Coverage

hi, been to margarita 3 times and had no probs with vodaphone aoart from the cost, just get your roaming switched on and it will find a network

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone Network Coverage

When going on holiday I also let my phone have a holiday, I turn it off at the airport and only turn it back on when I return.

Remember it's not that long ago when we used to holiday without them quite happily.

8. Re: Phone Network Coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island