We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
554 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Please someone talk to me - still trying to convince husband he shouldn't do 2 day trip to Angel falls due to health (as in earlier posting which nobody has answered - sob sob) but nobody out there is backing me up!! Or am I fussing? Any views please. TVM

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

The only part of the 2 day trip to Angel Falls which requires any level of fitness is the hike through the jungle. From what I've seen there is a worn trail from the river to the base of the falls. I believe the hike is about 1 hour each way.

Note that what I've seen is based on a video I have which was recorded by a tour guide friend of mine. Hopefully someone who has actually walked the trail will respond with more detailed and accurate info.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

There was a fair amount of walking involved when I did this trip a couple of years ago and some of it was over difficult ground at times - such as through the jungle and waterfalls(although this was only a small part of the trip and I guess you could opt out). However, it wasn't fast paced and there were plenty of opportunities to rest in between. Our group included all ages from 13 to 70ish and everyone coped ok. Unless your hubby has walking difficulties he should be fine.

I cannot recommend the 2 day trip highly enough. Seeing Angel Falls was good but staying in the jungle camp sharing your lodge with monkeys and other wildlife then floating down the Orinocco fishing for piranha was by far the best experience ever! You would not get that from the 1 day tour.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

We've just come back and my o/h did the day trip. I didn't because I had a hip operation in March. He said it was heavy going (all the walking and the slippy, uneven ground) and that I wouldn't have been able to manage-so I did the right thing. Are you going with First Choice? I'm they will advise. I couldn't manage it at 25 but apparently they had a 90 odd year old woman doing it about a month ago!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
554 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Many thanks for your info - John is a generally fitter than average 60 year old, but had pneumonia in April and is still not anywhere 100% recovered. My main concern is breathing/humidity problems let alone the fact that he has caught virtually every bug going since then. Think no easy option here and will have to decide between doing something he was really looking forward to and tempering it with common sense and the 1 day trip - don't hold out much hope for common sense!!! Thanks again - will have a drink or 10 for you all while we#re out there. Cheers for now.

Aberdeen
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

We are planning on doing the 2 day trip to Angel Falls and taking our 8 year old son. Again I wasn't sure on the level of fitness required, but he is probably fitter than us!! I think that if he doesn't do it he may regret it, I have read nothing but fantastic reports.

Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Hi,

Im sure when we were there last year, children had to be ten to do the trip. I would check before you go. Cheers, Mags

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Not sure who you're planning to book this trip through... I booked the two day trip with First Choice (where you fly over Angel Falls, rather than getting to walk to them).

The only time I've not recommend this trip is for folks that have major joint problems as you're a little cramped on the 12 seater Cesna and have to get in and out of boats on both the Orinocco Delta (if you're thinking of that particular trip) and at Canaima when you go over to the falls.

Some of the terrain at Canaima is a bit rutty/uneven, and particularly so behind the falls (on our trip, one couple did choose to stay at the bottom by the lagoon).

I would say that on the FC two day tour of Angel Falls/Orinocco Delta/Canaima, it's not so much about your fitness level, but more about your mobility.

As for how your husband will with cope with the humidity, from the medical side of things nobody here can or should advise you; I can only suggest discussing this with your GP. I'll stress that it will be very humid in the jungle, but if your GP thinks your husband can cope with that kind of environment, then I'd trust the GP and your husbands judgement.

Really hope this helps!

A

Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
200 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

I´m a bit confused about the two day trip now. I had made up my mind to book with a credit card through First Choice as our income is in Euros and its better than carrying the cash in dollars, however I assumed that all the 2 day trips to Angel Falls / Orinoco Delta were the same.

What are the differences between them? We were looking forward to trekking through the jungle, fishing for piranhas, going off at night along the river etc. Does anyone know where the itinerary is for the First Choice trip?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Hi,

I did the trip a while ago now so things might well have changed. But here's a brief overview...

Day 1 starts with your flight to mainland Venezuela via a 12 seater Cesna, followed by a few hours on a coach to meet your boat which will take you down the Orinocco Delta (stopping to see wildlife on the way) to the jungle lodge. Whilst on the Orinocco River, we fished for Piranha, had a swim in a lagoon (if you wished) and an evening wildlife boat trip to see the nocturnal creatures. You stay overnight at the jungle lodge, but we had no opportunity to walk in the jungle.

Day 2 consisted of a return trip back up the river to meet your coach for the return trip to the airport, where your Cesna will fly you on to Canaima.

Ideally (weather permitting) they'll try to do the fly past of Angel Falls on your way to Canaima. After landing at Canaima National Park you'll take a walk through the village and landscape to the lagoon (where the many waterfalls empty into) and journey on a boat over to one of the waterfalls. You'll then be given the option to walk up to and behind the thundering wall of water.

If you don't get the chance to see Angel Falls on the flight in, the pilots will try on the flight out.

Hope this helps.

A

Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
200 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fitness Level for Angel Falls

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info ali.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations