We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer at Margarita island

montreal
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Topic
First timer at Margarita island

Hi,

I guess what i'm looking for is some information about this place. Last year went to Punta Cana, enjoyed it very much, but thinking of something different, for the first week of december this year.

I guess wondering how the beach compares to punta cana. Allthou the beach was beautiful, the waves where sort of too calm for me. Is the water rougher here?

What is the native language? Is tipping like in the dominican? U.S. currency prefered? And of course what are the best resorts to stay at.

Any info would be gratefuly appriciated.

Thanks.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer at Margarita island

Hi

I have been to Margarita twice,and loved it both times,we stayed at the Dunes,food was fine something for everyone,beautiful beach but the sea can be quite rough with a strong undercurrant.

They speak Spanish although many of them speak quite good English and they are so friendly,tipping is the norm,your maid,the bell boys,barmen,they dont earn very much so are grateful for tips.

U.S dollars are accepted but you seem to get a better deal if you change it to Bolivares.

And by the way its HOT very very HOT,hope this helps a bit.

montreal
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer at Margarita island

Hi, mrsmugerdy.

Well actually dunes was one of the resorts i was thinking about.

Thank you, it helps out quite a bit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer at Margarita island

If you're looking for waves then MI is a great destination! There are no barrier reefs around the island so there is little to calm the sea. The waves at Playa Parguita and big enough to attract some surfers. As stated, there are undertows. Playa El Agua and Playa Parguita are 2 beaches known to have them.

Spanish is the main language and very few locals speak anything other than that.

If you are looking for 4 or 5 star resorts like in Dominician Republic you won't find them on MI. The resorts tend to be 3+ star or less. The best ones include Lagunamar Resort, Dunes, LTI Costa Caribe, Hesperia Margarita, & Hesperia Playa El Agua. Good economy hotel resorts include Flamenco Villas, Palm Beach Hotel and Pueblo Caribe.

In many restaurants a tip (service fee) will be added to the bill and another tip is expected when paying the bill. Tipping at resorts should be done with local currency as small US currency is difficult to convert.

Bring US$ in large denominations of 50s and 100s. You can exchange these with black market money changers for a much higher rate than the official exchange rate. Black market exchange rates flucuate so you won't know what you can get until you arrive on the island.

montreal
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer at Margarita island

mig-admin,

my travel agent wasn't as informative, thank you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer at Margarita island

De nada!

montreal
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer at Margarita island

hey guy's,

ok, so spoke to my travel agent again today...i can get a flight out of montreal on december the 8th with airtransat. The price is 800.00 dollars canadian taxes included. That includes the Dunes hotel for a week All Inclusive. What do you guy's think?

She tells me the Beaches are great, but that the rooms at the resorts at MI are pretty bad, sounded as if she was trying to get me to change my mind. So i guess...just trying to get some reasurence before i make up my mind.

Eric

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer at Margarita island

Hi eric099,

Dunes has been reported here as a good hotel. I don't think that you will have any problems and the price is fantastic.

The thing to look into is the date of your flight. If things are the same as last year this flight arrives in Margarita at something like 2 AM in the morning & leaves the following week at 4 AM. Really DUMB!!

There is also a mid-week flight that arrives & leaves in the afternoon. Check it our before making any commitments.

montreal
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer at Margarita island

Hi PlayaElAqua,

the flight out of Montreal is scheduled to leave at 7:00 a.m., it's supposed to land at 12:40 p.m. at gral santiago marino.

Apparently the airport is about 30 min. away from Dunes resort. The more i think about it the more this sounds good.

As for the room, as long as the A/C and the toilets work, and i can take a hot shower that's all that really matters. planning to be on the beach most of the time.

So it's a 5 hour and 40 minute flight?!...lol i am not the best flyer, i think that's what wories me the most!

Thanks for your response.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer at Margarita island

eric099

Been to the Dunes twice,and yes the rooms are a bit dated but nothing to worry about.

They are kept really clean,bed sheets and towels changed every day,bathrooms are ok too,like you say you dont intend to spend much time in there.

For the price you cant go wrong,and as for the flight well thats nothing,fromm England its a 9 1/2

hour flightthere and just over 8 coming back!!!!!!!

montreal
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer at Margarita island

Hi mrsmugurdy,

9 1/2 hours wow!! I don' think i could handle that.

Ok, i think i'm going to MI, from comments that i have recieved and reviews that i have read, besides the pictures i have seen, looks great!

How is the airport there? I meen when i landed in Punta cana it was pretty fast pasing security and all, is it longer or the same at MI?

Can i take a cab to my resort? or do i have to go with the transport provided. in the Dominican we had the option of one or the other.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations