We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure tax

Surrey
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Departure tax

I've just read the post regarding departure tax increasing. We go on Sunday and this is the first I've heard of this increase. I've just rung First Choice who were really unhelpful and said the brochure says £53!

Is the $73 likely to go up, I want to make sure I've got enough put to the side to be able to leave! I can't believe First Choice are soooo unhelpful.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure tax

As far as I know Venezuelan departure tax has always been included in the price of the ticket for most international flights. In my experience only Venezuelan carriers charge the tax seperately.

You might want to call the First Choice office in Margarita to check, they will be better informed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure tax

Departure taxes for MI have gone up unexpectedly during my vacations on at least 1 occasion. Will it go up while you're there? Probably not but you never know. Don't worry about it until you get there. If it is a concern then keep in touch with your travel groups representative while at your resort. They'll have up to date info as to the status of departure taxes.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure tax

When coming from Montreal on Air Transat, the airport tax is not included on the ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure tax

Who can tell whether it's going to go up or not...?We came back from the Lost World Tour last week and I got most of information form this forum, because First Choice, frankly, are rubbish when it comes to being helpful. There are several things you will have to pay for (apart from alcohol during the first week, if you're so inclined) and for us these were:

-airport tax from Margarita to Venezuela 20 BLV pp. (it really is 18.40, but the guide told us 20 and we weren't going to argue...)

-lunch during the power station trip 30 BLV pp.

-entrance fee to Canaima Park - you can pay in bolivars or dollars. As we paid in $, it cost us $15pp., can't remember what the price in bolivars was

-departure tax from Venezuela $73 or 157 BLV pp.

The exchange rate at the airport is 2.15 BLV to a dollar or 4 BLV to a pound. Your tour guide will exchange your money at the same rate, however you can also exchange money on the black market. We've done that and got 4 BLV to a dollar. Much better deal!

They don't take credit cards in the hotels we were staying in, so it's best to take cash. Don't bother with travellers cheques either. Our cards don't work in their cash machinces, so just take whatever you think you'll need in cash.

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
leicester
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure tax

We agree, we went on Lost Worle tour in summer, we loved the tour, but this was no thanks to First Choice, They did not supply good info and we see from their brochure, they are not doing tour next year.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure tax

caroline, we just got back 1/12 it's 157 bvs each easy to get 4 to the dollar min on the black market. so don't pay in dollars, ask your rep when you get there (very discreetly) they might know someone who knows someone

Lindsay, Ontario
Level Contributor
332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure tax

This departure tax is making me crazy, crazy I say! Now, would it not make sense just to exchange your money at the hotel (if available) pay the few extra bucks and be done and over with it. There's one website I've been looking at and they say hotels have an exchange rate plus 3% commission. I don't know, three percent doesn't seem that much compared to doing it the "bad" way, illegal way! Heck I want to enjoy my holiday, relax, chill. We went to San Andres last year, I went to the trouble of going to my bank here in Ontario, exchanging and getting their currancy, and heck alot of the vendors were happy to get US dollars - money is money they told us. I'd think you would just have to worry about the departure tax - who's going on vacation to spend money, right>??? I visited my bank last week, and their exchange office doesn't deal in bolivars???

Mentioned in this post
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
St Helens
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure tax

Easy too say if you have plenty of money!

Maybe the Canadian wages are much higher than the UK.

Lindsay, Ontario
Level Contributor
332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure tax

No, I don't think so but heah, what do I know! I do know that there's alot a people concern about the departure tax including me - I was just making a observation! Sorry!

Lindsay, Ontario
Level Contributor
332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure tax

P.S.

I work just as hard as the next person, I want a stress free holiday that all I'm lookin for! Some sun, some rays, some cold beverages and some good laughs! End of this conversation.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island