We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunes Reviews

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dunes Reviews

Going to the Dunes in Jan.for 2 weeks.Is this place realy as bad as some of the reviews or are some travelers expecting too much.

Sounds like North Americans like this place.

British dont.

I thought this one of the better hotels on M.I.??

??? What is the truth on the Dunes???

Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunes Reviews

I'm wondering the same thing! The reviews prior to this December were pretty good but lately all that I've read is complaints.

I'm headed there in February...still hoping that the bad reviews are exaggerated. Us Canadians usually have a good time regardless of the negatives.

Anything is better than winter! :-)

Stafford
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunes Reviews

Stu1254

I did not stay at Dunes 2 years ago when I went but we did pick up there on the coach twice when going on trips, i thought it was very remote, in the midlle of nowhere with nothing around but sand and volcanic rock!!

I did get a taxi and spend the day at a beach nearby one day which was very good with bars & excellent fish restaurant and very much a locals beach, alot of people on the beach wearing white wristbands and i was told they were from Dunes, they seemed happy enough!!

I was able to have a day at the beach hire sunbeds, eat and drink all day plus taxi each way (he came back for us)for around 30us dollars (2 yrs ago).

I found a website and printed of information on all the beaches in MI and their facilities this was superb and allowed us to mix with the locals and see alot more of the island without paying for tours!

I am going back in Feb 2009 staying in playa de agua.

foxy1902

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunes Reviews

Which two weeks will you be going ? I will be there ( Jan.6 - 20 ).Maybe we'll see you there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunes Reviews

As Fox has mentioned; Dunes is very remote but it depends on what floats your boat. I wouldn't stay somewhere so off the beaten track as I like to immerse myself in the culture of the place that I'm visiting. I'm not sure if I could stand to be cooped up in an AI fortress miles from where the 'real' people hang out.

I did actually stay at Dunes on my first trip to MI many years ago but we left after a couple of days and moved to the Hilton in town.

It's all about expectations.

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunes Reviews

Jan 13

Keep the beer could.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunes Reviews

I will be looking out for you and will have a few cold ones ready and waiting.

Ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunes Reviews

I too have noticed the comments as of late. I am there the week of Jan. 20th. Margarita Island was recommended by friends of ours. We are going simply to get some much needed R & R. We are not paying for a 5 star. When we want that option we go to Mexico. The place looks gorgeous and I am not going to let the reviews change my mind set of our upcoming vacation.

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunes Reviews

I would still like to to see some actual reviews from vetrans of this hotel.

and i thank you for the recent feedback.

P.S. were comming any way.

And so is ralphOOO and FaithOOOO

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
71 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunes Reviews

I'm not due to visit until March, and so will be very interested to see what those of you going in January think about the place. I must admit, the amount of bad reviews really does seem to be increasing................

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunes Reviews

Have a good flight SunBeau Tomorrow.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations