We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you a Margarita expert?

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Are you a Margarita expert?

Can anyone that knows the people of Margarita well or even lives there please tell me about the day to day life, culture and beliefs the people have on the island because I want to understand a bit more about their culture before thinking about going there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you a Margarita expert?

There are several groups of people on the island.

The Margaritenos (spelling?) are long time inhabitants of the island and are mostly fisherman. There are a number of fishing villages to be found around the island.

Over the years many mainlanders have made the island their home. The cities of Porlamar and Pampatar are testament to this. There you can see many condo towers and lowrise buildings. Some of these are quite new. There is a large shopping mall by Pampatar called Sambil with a huge food court. The place can get quite busy at times. On the island you can find fast food joints like McDonalds, Wendys, Subway etc. but who want to eat that stuff when there are numerous restaurants offering steak dinners and seafood.

The people are generally friendly but most only speak spanish. Knowing a bit a spanish can certainly enhance one's visit to MI. If you get to know someone they may invite you into their homes for a meal or ask if you want to join them at some event. This has happened to me several times and others have told me the same. As far as religion goes the people are predominantly catholic.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you a Margarita expert?

There are several groups of people on the island.

The Margaritenos (spelling?) are long time inhabitants of the island and are mostly fisherman. There are a number of fishing villages to be found around the island.

Over the years many mainlanders have made the island their home. The cities of Porlamar and Pampatar are testament to this. There you can see many condo towers and lowrise buildings. Some of these are quite new. There is a large shopping mall by Pampatar called Sambil with a huge food court. The place can get quite busy at times. On the island you can find fast food joints like McDonalds, Wendys, Subway etc. but who want to eat that stuff when there are numerous restaurants offering steak dinners and seafood.

The people are generally friendly but most only speak spanish. Knowing a bit a spanish can certainly enhance one's visit to MI. If you get to know someone they may invite you into their homes for a meal or ask if you want to join them at some event. This has happened to me several times and others have told me the same. As far as religion goes the people are predominantly catholic.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you a Margarita expert?

HI Mig-Admin when is your next visit will be greatful if you could let me know of any changes as we have conversed before re M.I. I am just so upset that i cannot get a package deal there from U.K. yet would love to go back please keep me updated if you hear anything on the Grapevine about us brits being able to go back as unsure if due to politics or 1st choice/Thompson Travel. Regards Boogie264 Jules

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you a Margarita expert?

When I was there in Feb 2009 there were several changes I noticed. Prices have gone up for many things. Taxis, hotel rooms, car rentals, etc.. Rush hour traffic can be quite crazy. There is a stream of cars going into Porlamar from the west in the morning and returning to the west in the afternoon. I was stuck in the traffic on several occasions and it wasn't fun. In past years I've seen very few accidents but this year was different. I seen at least a dozen; some quite serious. Of course this doesn't mean anything in terms of trends but it may be an indicator of the larger population that now lives on MI.

5. Re: Are you a Margarita expert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island