We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

We are looking for a golf vacation (yes we would be playing everyday!!). We would like to hear some feedback, comments, reviews about this golf course and hotel please. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Can't tell you much about the hotel other than it is big.

We have been members of the golf club there for almost 10 years.

The course is not in the best of shape compared to North American courses primarily due to three years of severe drought.

They did replace most of the irrigation system however as of this past weekend it was not totally operational so there are still some dry parts on the course.

It's about 6400 yards and quite challenging with a strong wind most of the time. It plays much like a links course rather than target golf due to the dry conditions. There are a number of water holes to make things interesting. Front 9 is par 36 with 2 par 5's, 2 par 3's, and 5 par 4's. The back 9 is a little easier with 4 par 3's, 2 par 5's & 3 par 4's.

If you need any other info just ask.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Thanks Playa, I appreciate your reply and your honesty.

We always expect a difference in course maintenance as there is not only a difference in climate, but equipment and budget as well. We certainly can't play any of our course in January!!

What are the green likes?

Is the course busy? Should we reserve tee times ahead of time? We'll be there the first two weeks of January, if you members don't mind sharing with some Canadians looking to thaw out!!

Did you retire to the Island or a you a native of Venezuala?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Hi some1else,

I am a Canadian who has been living here retired for many years. My son went to U of A in Edmonton and is now working in Edmonton.

I played there yesterday and after two nights of rain everything has greened up. They were repairing a main water line that burst and expect to have it up and running this weekend. The greens are pretty good considering and should be a lot better by the time you get here in January.

The course is never THAT busy although it gets a little busier during national holidays. They should all have returned to the mainland by the Jan. 7/8 weekend as the kids have to be back in school on Jan. 9.

There are no tee times - first come, first served however don't worry about it - you'll get to play lot's of golf.

You'll have a great time here.

Omemee Ontario
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

We will be staying at Laguna Mar (Jan 18 to Feb 1, 2006)but would like to play golf. Would we be welcome to play at Isla Margarita and would the taxi be very expensive? I've heard we are about a half hour drive from the golf course.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Thanks Playa,

It's 4 degrees and raining here today. So be sure and enjoy being able to play!!

We are planning to arrive Jan. 2, so the first week may be busier for us there, but we expect that.

Thanks for all the info, I may post again as I think of other questions, and we'll owe you a cerveza when we see you on the course!!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Weaver:

The course is open to all and quite inexpensive for a resort course.

Check with the desk at Laguna Mar to see if they have any discount tickets for green fees.

Laguna Mar is about a half hour away and the cost of the taxi should be around US$10.

some1else:

Hope you enjoy your stay and your golf.

Usually around that time of year we don't get much chance to play but if we do it's early and quick. Without interruptions we walk the course in 3 hours. My wife is a 14 & I'm struggling with a 15 handicap. Lack of playing time mostly. (aren't I supposed to be retired?) :-)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

PLAYA:

Is there club storage at the course? Are pull carts available for rent?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

Yes, there is club storage.

They also rent clubs - Callaways - old but serviceable.

Pull carts and power carts for rent however best to use caddies - local boys from the nearby village of Pedro Gonzalez - not too expensive.

Course manager's name is Norman - speaks perfect English.

Omemee Ontario
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

PlayaElAqua,

Thank you so much for the tip on asking for discount coupons. Really looking forward to this holiday. We are newly retired and this trip is also going to be a 'check it out' for the whole winter get aways in the near future.

Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf & Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita

PlayaElAqua..... The wife and I are planning our holliday for January, and we are looking for golf and sun. We were at the Hesperia in February 2004, but unfortunately the state of the golfcourse was very bad. From your recent posts, it sounds like the condition has improved drasticly since we were there. Can you confirm, as we would love to go back. Any informations will be greatly appreciated. Best regards from Denmark.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island