We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

sask
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

We have booked a vacation rental in Margarita from Jan 13 to Feb23 and have our tickets to Carass which lands at 12:45 am and i know a flight leaves at 8:00 am to Margarita island can we buy our ticket prior to the flight or does it need to be booked?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

Flights around that time of year can be full as the last of the Christmas travellers are still travelling. Altho, I see you are arriving on a Wednesday which is good since fridays to and mondays back from Margarita are the busiest days.

I would say you could just wait till you get in to Maiquetia to purchase your tickets since you get midday you have the afternoon to get to Margarita.

Give yourselves at least a hour or hour and a half to get through immigration and customs and to get to the domestic terminal.

If you wait to buy tickets upon arrival you will save money (like half) if you purchase in local currency.

There is no reason to wait till the next day to get your CCS-PMV flight.

There are flights almost hourly till about 8-9 p.m.

Depending on how adventurous you are depends on whether or not to purchase your tickets before hand.

Here is a list of airlines altho keep in mind not all of them can you purchase tickets through thier websites.

Laser - (58) 212-2020100 - http://www.laser.com.ve/

Aeropostal - (58) 212-952-9566, (58) 800-237-6252 - http://www.aeropostal.com/

Miami - from USA - 1-800-912-8466 outside USA 1-305-6763

Conviasa - (58) 212-507-8820 - http://www.conviasa.aero/ or reservas.caracas@conviasa.aero

Aserca - (58) 800-648-8356 - http://www.asercaairlines.com/

Venezolana (58) 501-836-396-5262 http://ravsa.com.ve/

Avior (58) 281-287-2080 http://www.avior.com.ve/ Miami - (1) 305-470-2203

(Avior & Conviasa also have flights from Trinidad and Grenada) Conviasa has flights from Margarita to St. Vincent and Dominica.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

I just noticed that your flight arrives at 1 AM- I don't think you will have any trouble getting a flight but maybe not the 8 a.m. without purchasing it ahead of time as the early morning flights from CCS-PMV tend to be filled with business passengers so you may well end up waiting till one of the later flights say 9 or 10 if you do not have a ticket.

There are hustlers in the terminal that appear to be dressed in airline dress (they are not employees) that will get you a seat on any flight for a price. If you are wandering around looking for a flight chances are these guys will approach you-stay away if you do not really badly need them to get you a seat.

Deal only with duly identified people in the terminal and do not go outside to chage money-there will be people approaching you to change dollars-I would discreetly change only enough to buy your flight tickets (about BsF. 250 round p.p. and a little more for airport tax BsF28 per person) and maybe your taxi upon arrival in Margairta.

Coming from international flights you will need to change terminals from the international to the national terminal. To do this after claiming your bags and going through customs immediately upon leaving customs take a left and use the enclosed walk way to the national terminal-do not go out the doors into the international terminal lobby but take a left before the doors leading out. This walk way will put you into the departures of the national flights if you have bags to check you will need to exit out to the right upon leaving the walkway and that puts you into the national terminal lobby and check-in counters-just start checking the departures for the next flight out and good luck-I think there is a flight that leaves earlier than 8am.

sask
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

Is the national airport safe to wait in till we get our flights to go over to the island and is there people in the airport that money can be exchanged with or is it only kiosks that are avialble?

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

I would NOT recommend Conviasa - both flights we took with them were very late. I've read that they are known for delays!

eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
199 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

I took Conviasa twice this past August. First time was a 7:00am flight from Maiquetia to Porlamar and it was on time, the return trip to Maiquetia was a mid afternnon flight (around 2:30pm if I recall correctly) and it was about 90 minutes late.

Perhaps the chance of delays increases as the day goes by, which is not an uncommon pattern in air traffic

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

In response to the post by Isunseekers-the national terminal is perfectly safe. There are several choices of restaurants both in the terminal lobby and on the other side of security in the boarding gate area where you can get something to eat or drink while you wait for your flight.

As far as changing money goes-you will be approached for changing money at the parrallel rate. Just be a bit discreet and do not flash wads of cash and you will be fine-do not agree to go outside the terminal with anyone to do this tho.

To get from the internatinal terminal to the national terminal do not go out the doors into the terminal lobby but take a left immediately upon passing customs and this will take you to the eclosed walkway to the national terminal this will put you in the secure boarding gate area. If you need to check bags to your next flight upon leaving the walkway take a right out into the lobby of the national terminal.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

Last Feb. I stayed overnight in the international building while waiting for my 7:30am flight to MI. There is an upper level food court with tables, seats and benches where I found a dozen other travellers waiting as well. There were also people hanging out at the departures level. When I ventured outside for a smoke I found several guards keeping an eye on the building entrance. All in all I felt secure doing the overnight stay. On the arrivals level there was an 24hr Arepera offering coffee, pop, and snacks.

With regards to money exchange you will find dozens of people inside and outside the airport buildings approaching you about money exchange. Some offer good rates, some bad and some are there to rip you off. Be careful who you choose and exchange only enough to get you through the day.

8. Re: air flights from Carass to Margarita Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island