We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip to Caracas

Arvida
Level Contributor
182 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip to Caracas

I go one week in Margarita in the first week of march with one of my friends and we want to go one day in Caracas.

I have few questions :

-A taxi from Dunes hotel to the airport, is it expensive?

-The air tickets, is it better to buy in advance or the price is the same if we buy the ticket at the airport?

-For a domestic flight (both for Caracas and Porlamar) how many time we have to be at the airport in advance?

-I read that is possible to take a bus from the international terminal to the city, do yo know if this bus pass by the domestic terminal?

In Caracas I really want to take the teleferico, is it dangerous to walk there from the station Bella Artes (on the map it's around 2 kilometers)?

I know that Caracas is a dangerous city, that's why we will leave the city before sunset.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

-A taxi from Dunes hotel to the airport, is it expensive?

-The air tickets, is it better to buy in advance or the price is the same if we buy the ticket at the airport?

Buy the tickets when you are here.

-For a domestic flight (both for Caracas and Porlamar) how many time we have to be at the airport in advance?

1½ hours

-I read that is possible to take a bus from the international terminal to the city, do yo know if this bus pass by the domestic terminal?

Yes.

In Caracas I really want to take the teleferico, is it dangerous to walk there from the station Bella Artes (on the map it's around 2 kilometers)?

It's not dangerous but it's a long way & uphill. You'd be better to take a taxi.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

Sorry, forgot one:

A taxi from Dunes to the airport would be about US$15 depending on what the exchange rate is when you are here.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

If you take the bus from the airport buy your tickets inside the terminal at the kiosk (you will see the sign) Purchase your tickets to the "Gato Negro" subway station where you can get off the bus and get on the subway and take the subway to the "Colegio de Ingenieros" subway station where you can go out of the station and get a local bus that goes to Mari Perez when the bus reaches the top of the hill and loops around to go down the other side get off the bus and there will be a set of stairs that will take you up to the parking lot of the teleferico. You can do the same route back in reverse to get back to the airport.

Arvida
Level Contributor
182 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

Another question.

Is it necessary to bring my passport with me for a domestic flight?

thanx

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

Yes

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

Yes

Arvida
Level Contributor
182 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

There is a departure (or airport) tax to pay apart of the ticket price when we leave Porlamar and Caracas? If, yes it's how much?

thanx

south bend, indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

My friend I have travelled several times to Venezuela and have basically been all over it. It is a beautiful country BUT if possible, completely avoid caracas... Visit Puerto La Cruz (which is 4 hours away by ferry or like 15 mins by plane) or Cubagua (one of the sister islands of Margarita). If you get the chance while in Margarita try to book a full day or 2 at ISLA TORTUGA... You will not regret, all the people from Venezuela love and recommend that place and I cannot tell you how glad I was when I actually paid attention to their advice. Enjoy your trip... oh and if you can go to a place in Margarita called "Atarraya de las 15 letras" (i still have it written down hehe) and ask for a "pastel de cucho." Also in the mornings eat some empanadas... enjoy your trip

Arvida
Level Contributor
182 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

And where I can buy a full day trip to isla tortuga?

I'm sure you know if there a departure tax for domestic flight. Can you give me an answer? I've been alone one week in Mexico City and Sao Paulo, so i don't think Caracas is really more dangerous.

thanx

10. Re: Daytrip to Caracas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations