We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car/Health Insurance

Margarita Island...
3 posts
Save Topic
Car/Health Insurance

Hi all,

I've moved to Margarita - i would like to buy car and health insurance. Anybody recommend a good company for either? Looking for cheapest possible of course! Car insurance especially seems VERY expensive here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car/Health Insurance

Kevin,

Liability insurance (responsibilidad civil) is mandatory here-I normally do not take any further coverage such as collision, ect. as to get the insurance companies to pay out on a policy is like getting blood out of a stone-if you have liability insurance the companies themselves duke it out in the case of an accident-also if you are stopped by "transito" police it will be a real hassle if you do not have the insurance (especially if you do not speak Spanish)

When looking for insurance, I think it is best to use one of the larger companies.

Good luck

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car/Health Insurance

I agree with the previous poster.

The Insurance companies here are notorious for not paying, charging excessive premiums for no coverage & trying to add in extras of no value just to up the premiums.

I would be very careful with any company you deal with.

You need "reponsibilidad civil" to drive here although as a guess less than 50% of the drivers have it, especially anyone with a car a few years old.

I tried getting health insurance here however I have a background in insurance & when the agent explained what I was covered for, the deductible & the premium it added up to almost nothing in coverage.

Margarita Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car/Health Insurance

Thanks guys, will check the policies very closely before buying.

PlayaElAgua - so you don't think it is worthwhile even having health insurance here? So just pay at the clinica if you need any treatment? The risk is of hospitalization though of course which I gather is expensive!

One more question, can anyone recommend a good dentist? preferably one that speaks English, but it isn't mandatory. Again, I am looking for economical options! Thanks.

Winchester, Kentucky
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car/Health Insurance

Susana Mitchell............very good dentist....Speaks English.....address:

Av. Circunvalacion Norte

Centro Empresarial Esparta

Piso 1

Los Robles- Porlamar

0295-2671946

5. Re: Car/Health Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations