We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to the Island

virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel to the Island

I am getting conflicting reports on travel to MI.

Is the airport in Caracas as "dangerous" as the State Department says?

Is it easy to get a flight to MI?

Do I need to reserve the flight to MI before I get there?

Thanks to anyone who replys.

Mentioned in this post
Caracas
Caracas
Capital Region, Venezuela
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to the Island

The airport itself isn't dangerous. Just use precautions you would in any airport - don't leave baggage unattended etc. etc. Also, I wouldn't advise you leave the airport zone for any reason, as the city itself is not very safe for foreigners.

If you do have to leave the airport, make sure to book into a reputable hotel near the airport and arrange for them send a taxi for you.

I would recommend booking a flight to MI before you get there. It makes for much easier transition in the airport.

There are a few airlines that fly there: aeropostal, conviasa, avion and laser airlines. All have websites (just type it in google or yahoo.)

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to the Island

When flying to the island dont be afraid to be pushy and aggresive while waiting in line, otherwise people will squeese in front of you and you could lose your spot, definitely have reservations

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to the Island

I agree DUKE! People are a bit more agressive that here in North America...don't feel bad if you are a wee bit pushy.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
371 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to the Island

I definitely agree on gettin' the MI tickets before you get there. It'll make it so much easier. I booked so far in advance, Aeropostal let me send a personal check to their Miami office. The two trips (Feb. 2001 to Caracas and Feb. 2004 to MI) I found the airport to be easy to navigate. Just make sure you keep an eye on your stuff and be a little agressive when you're waiting in any line--I've always found that people look at you and if you look gringo-ish, they'll try to budge in front. (My Latin friends admit to doing that as well.) I'd say I felt more comfortable in the airport than I did in the city of Caracas.

Enjoy Margarita! Take a 4x4 trip around the island and go to Playa el Agua--beautiful clear water!

Mentioned in this post
Caracas
Caracas
Capital Region, Venezuela
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
Playa el Agua
Playa el Agua
Margarita Island, Venezuela
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island