We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margarita questions

Scotland
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Margarita questions

We are travelling to the Dunes Hotel in June. I have been reading all the correspondence about the merits of taking US dollars versus bolivars. I am now thinking I will just take bolivars as it seems easier than trying to change US dollars or cheques for trips. Could someone tell me if it is better to tip the hotel staff in US dollars or bolivars.

Also should I try and book my Angel Falls trip with First Choice or a local company. Should I book this trip before I leave or when I arrive in Margarita?

Thanks for your help.

Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
649 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Margarita questions

jacko,

Don't buy your B's here, although it looks like you get a good rate you have to think on what the $ rate is. If the $ rate is like what it is just now your are much better off taking $ cash and changing out there.

But if you do decide to buy B's here remember to keep a hold of your reciept as NO one will buy them back from you in the UK, other than where you got them, with reciept.

When eating out most places you can pay in $ and they will give you change in B's at normally the going rate.

Tipping, anythings good, we used $.

Trips, book when you arrive, we used a local company. From what others have said on here First Choice appears to be more expensive.

Scotland
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Margarita questions

Thanks for the advice BestBaz.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Margarita questions

I took US $ with me and converted as needed. As for tipping, as per usual I brought a stack of US $1 bills. When I tried to use them to purchase something or get them exchanged, no one would take them unless it was an 'official' exchange house, which gives you the official rate - less than at stores, hotel, street, etc... Although, my $1 bill US tips were expected with a smile, I wondered if locals had difficultly spending them at stores or getting a higher rate for them. Given this, I started giving tips in BVS and saved the $1 bills for when I got back home.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Margarita questions

oops, I meant excepted, not expected.. I never had the problem of service professionals expecting tips.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Margarita questions

I found that tipping in Bolivars was a bit easier for the locals (they didn't have to go thru the trouble of exchanging money in order to use it.)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margarita questions

Changing money was a problem for us. The banks would not exchange US cash (I am assuming travellers cheques would be ok). The bank machines will not accept Interac, only Cirrus. The hotel would not exchange money. There was a legitimate, independant man in the lobby that would exchange money but charged 8% commision on the total amount exchanged (no matter the amount). If you exchanged Canadian you only got 1450 Bolivares to the dollar. US dollars got 2200B. We were approached constantly by people trying to exchange them on the black market which is illegal, that rate varied from 2300 - 2700 B.

italy
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Margarita questions

If you book with first Choice it will cost you more, at the end everyone uses the same airlines, just that their commission in higher. Along the beach there are people selling tours all day long, or you could pop into a travel agency ( along the beach) and compare prices. It's worth doing the trip.

Good luck!

calgary
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Margarita questions

How easy was it to get to the bank to exchange $? (ie cab) I am staying at the Dunes Beach resort.

J

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Margarita questions

funkie....we were there first two weeks in January(staying at the next hotel down from the Dunes)...our experience was that we took a cab to Juan Griego to a bank and they would not exchange our US cash for bolivares. They told us we could go across the street to the Farmacia and they would exchange them for 2400. Instead we had the cab driver take us to his "friend's" store where he exchanged the money in a small back office.

It sounds like others had no problem exchanging US dollars at banks?? Next time we would take Travellers'Cheques.

calgary
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Margarita questions

Thanks for the info!

I am in the process of trying to get the money (Bloivars) through AMA right now. I would rather go with the $ than try to get it there.

J

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations