We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife

london
12 posts
Save Topic
Nightlife

Two guys from England looking to come to Magarita Island, what is the nightlife like, are there lots of good bars and disco's.

will i be able to entertain myself for 10 days,

thanks

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife

Yes

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife

No. Chavez banned all forms of disco music for the next 20 years. lol

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife

Not true guys. Parguito is just messin' with ya. Chavez did order ALL radio stations to play country music (Venezuelan, of course) for 25% of their programming but that's it. Imagine in the US, the Soul and Rhythm & Blues stations, if Bush had ordered something like that.

Ok, especially around El Yaque you have a nice beach-bar life, with wind sports people hanging out. Also the main towns have their night spots, for all tastes and levels of people, catering to the locals, to the affluent tourists from Caracas (Venezuela's capital), and to the international crowd. Many are modern club type, but you also get a lot of old school salsa-caribbean places. It all depends on when you go too. If you go during easter week or Carnival weekend, the clubs will be PACKED.

london
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife

ok thanks, we are also lookign at RIO for carnival time but is margarita a lot cheaper for drinking eating and getting around?

what area would be the best to stay if we want to be able to relax on the beach all day then party at night?

i guess the weather is good in march....

first time to south america so doing a little research before we decide..ive heard venezuelan are the best too? haha

london
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife

also how much is a flight from caracas?

or can we get boat easily from caracas or is the port outside?

thought if we get a boat we would get to see a little more of the country...

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife

Margarita is a lot cheaper than Rio. Rio is for the show, the extravaganza, but many Brazilians leave rio during Carnival. Many tourists from europe. Carnival in Margarita is more about the beaches, the clubs, and the girls, and the tourists are from other parts of Venezuela.

You can take a bus and ferry to Margarita from Caracas, but it is not easy. You will need a bus to Caracas (1 hour), a bus to Puerto La Cruz (6 hous), and a ferry (2 or 4 hours), and all the time in between (buying tickets, waiting for bus, etc).

I recommend buying the plane ticket and booking in advance because the Venezuelans are already reserving places in Margarita. If you wish to book and buy everything locally (cheaper), there's a way to do it too.

london
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife

i have been looking at flights on the airlines websites to margarita from caracas but its all in spanish?

just out of interest is it cheap to get around the island by taxi say from the city to the main beach

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife

Taxi from Porlamar to Playa El Agua is around US$10

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife

$10 official rate or bm rate, PEA?

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife

Parguito, the official rate doesn't exist practically because it's too hard to get (filling in forms, photocopying each bill, photocopying passport, etc). Obviously (and you already knew this), PlayaElAgua was refering to the exchange rate that I would say 99% of tourists use: the Margarita tourist dollar (not necessarily black market). A cab driver taking you from Porlamar to Playa El Agua will accept a $10 bill if the tourist has no bolívares on him.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 16:26
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island