We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from Canada please help me chose

Toronto
Level Contributor
79 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from Canada please help me chose

Hi I want to take an all-inclusive and here are the hotels offered:

Palm Beach, Flamboyant, Dunes, Isla Caribe, Hesperia Playa Del Aqua, or Laguna Mar

I prefer a larger hotel with at least one a la carte, not too far from town (ie shopping), safe. i am a 57 year old lady travelling alone. I am looking to have a massage every couple of days so a massage lady on the beach or a spa would be great. i really just want to rest but prefer a place with lots of people.

Thanks so much for your help.

Warmly Leslie

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Depends on your budget but I assume that is no object. Playa "EL" Agua is a beach not a hotel. You really have to research the various all inclusives to find one that is best for you. I have stayed at Laguna Mar a couple of times and found it very ammenable to your criteria. It's a lush tropical paradise with hundreds of palm trees on the property. The grounds are very beautiful. I don't know about masseuse's on the beach but I believe you can book massages by the pool. Many pools, good restaurants and beautiful rooms, but ask for a garden view so you're not facing the street.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 13:00
Toronto
Level Contributor
79 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Thanks so much for your reply. I have to to pick from the nolitours offerings and the LagunaMar is one of them! Is it far to to town? What is the cost?

On TripAdvisor they make a big deal of the mould in the rooms and the fact you can't open the windows. Did you have that experience? i really appreciate your reply. Warmly Leslie in Toronto

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Love your cool avatar with that little monkey! Laguna Mar has balconies not windows. Stay in the top floor rooms. Heat rises and evaporates more moisture and as it does, mould can't form or less if any. The lower floors may have mould in any hotel. Lots of people go out and don't leave their air conditioning running on low to suck up the humidity. You have to check the brochure for costs. I would guess around $1,000 a week. I would recommend calling them and see what their walk up rate is. These suppliers charge an awful lot above the actual costs. After all, they have to make money too, but you don't really need them if you did your research. I'm venturing to guess you could probably get an all inclusive deal for up to half of what the suppliers are charging you. An air only ticket right now from Nolitours is $339 plus $368 in mafia extortion airport fees.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 14:39
Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Leslie,

Do a little research and search this forum on the hotel choices and beach locations. IMO we love the Playa El Agua area for the beach, shopping and restaurants, etc. However, a taxi can take you cheaply to almost anywhere to explore other beaches, shopping areas like Sambil Mall from your hotel choice.

We have stayed at Palm Beach Hotel and their beach front club has daily massages right on the beach under a tented area. You will love to walk and people watch on this most popular beach in MI...... we love those high heel wedged shoes on sand in their sexy thong bikinis....... smile!

All the best.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Palm Beach Hotel is a smaller economy hotel located on a side street about a 7 minute walk to Playa El Agua (beach). At the beach they have a decent beach club and a good supply of chairs. Last year, just south of their beach club was a dutch woman giving very good massages as she was a trained massage therapist. There were women hanging out near Palm Beach beach club who did massages but they were not trained.

Flamboyant Hotel is located at the south end of Playa El Agua and is a little bigger than Palm Beach. It is located right across the road from the beach. I've never stayed here but people speak well of it.

Hesperia Playa El Agua is a large property located in a central location along Playa El Agua and is across the road from the beach. I've walked through the property and liked what I saw. They have standard hotel rooms as well as rooms located in one storey bungalows located on the eastern portion of the property.

The Dunes is a large hotel located in a scenic area along the north-eastern portion of the island. The only thing with this property is that it fairly secluded with no restaurants and bars near by. This is not a huge problem because taxis are cheap. In terms of relaxation this hotel would be a good choice.

Lagunamar is the largest property of those you list. It has numerous pools, restaurants and a nice beach area. One problem with Lagunamar is the surf at the beach. It can get a bit rough. When I was there is was red flagged most days. Lagunamar is a very relaxing property with a variety of places to relax at. There is a bar next to the pool of the southern tower which I found to be a good place to talk with people, enjoy cafe con leches (venezuela cappucino) and alcholic drinks. When I was there I found the air conditioning in the rooms to be too much which is probably the cause of the mold reports you speak of.

Isla Caribe is a decent property but their beach is quite narrow.

For your purposes I would consider Lagunamar or The Dunes. If you like long beach walks then you may want to consider Hesperia Playa El Agua.

Here are my photo albums. There are lots of pics of several hotels including Palm Beach and Lagunamar.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Bergie61

http://community.webshots.com/user/dwaldick

Edited: 06 January 2011, 18:46
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Gret review Admin! Love your photos. I really do think that darn parrot remembers you! Love those food pics. Miss Playas is now named Macarena is partly owned by a friendly Hollander named Henke. Love that pic of the local spider! Do they feed him a whiney disgruntled guest now and then? lol That Bella Vista restaurant in Manzanillo looks very relaxing. How far is that from Porlamar?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Depending on the time of day and year Manazanillo is about 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour from Porlamar possibly more if it is rush hour or a holiday.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Manzanillo is located just north of Playa El Agua. It's probably less than 10 minutes by taxi from the centreal area of Playa El Agua. If someone is looking for a nice, quiet beach with calm waters then this is a great place to visit. Just be aware you would need to bring cash to rent chairs, buy drinks and food.

Toronto
Level Contributor
79 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

Thanks so much. The monkey was a friend I made in Roatan at one of the two Monkey Jungles we went to. I loved that and butterfly museum.

Will probably take Nolitours. All the best

Toronto
Level Contributor
79 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming from Canada please help me chose

I have a map of Margarita Island and I wondering where the Laguna Mar is located? I think I saw somewhere it is in Pampatar. Is there anything like another beach or a town or shopping district within walking distance/ Thanks so much for all your help.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations