We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bank machines

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bank machines

We just returned from 2 weeks on MI (stayed at Hesperia Isla Margarita). We had planned on using bank machines, but found that they only accepted Cirrus not Interac, we checked all the banks in Juan Griego and Porlamar and none of the machines were compatible with Interac.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bank machines

That is interesting - when we were there last month we used bank machines in playa el agua, as well as in sambil mall. had no problem at all!

Toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bank machines

I was there last year. There were a couple of ATMs that took Interac but they were hard to find. They were no ATMs that take Plus. These were the 2 for my CIBC bank account. People who had no problems who had cards that were Cirrus or Maestro. Look on the back of your card. Those people could even withdraw from tiny credit union accounts. I am opening a Bank of Montreal account this year so that I will be able to get cash if needed.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bank machines

Ya our cards were canada trust and royal bank. No problems there.

Stoney Creek
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bank machines

This is one destination you can leave home to go to without your credit card. Why settle for the official rate of 15%less? After reading this board, there's not a whole lot of wisdom on MI here.

Toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bank machines

The previous postings have been about ATMs, not necessarily credit cards. Last time I took enough cash with me (and got far better exchange rate as everyone knows) and never needed an ATM. But if I had needed cash I would have had trouble finding someplace to get it. Emergencies can arise. It is always better to be prepared.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations