We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Margarita Island

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Margarita Island

I can only fly Delta for discount reasons and they don't offer a flight to MI, only Caracas. It seems like a lot to do get to MI from Caracas with busses and ferries. I also read that you have to pay double departure taxes if you fly from Caracas to MI, is there any truth to this? Is there a smooth way to there or any reputable companies anyone on here has used for transportation to and from. I really hate small planes and would rather take a different way if possible. Do you need a rental car on the island?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Margarita Island

It's fairly easy to get from Caracas to Margarita Island.

There are dozens of flights each day that make the 35 minute hop.

Most use jets not small planes.

Here are some ways to book the flight:

Have a look at this FAQ page at http://www.casatrudel.com/linksenglish.htm

You’ll see all the local airlines listed.

Another solution is a website that has connections to some of the local airlines http://www.despegar.com/vuelos.html

Another solution is Avior who have an office in Miami.

You can call them direct at 305-470-2203

Another solution is to contact Magic Tours & Travel here in Playa El Agua who will do it for you.

www.islamargarita.com/magic-tours-english.htm

You do not need a rental car to enjoy Margarita although I would recommend one for a couple of days to explore the Island. For the rest of the time taxis are plentiful & much cheaper than anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Edited: 26 February 2011, 17:29
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Margarita Island

Thanks for your reply. I went to those sites and several had no flights for my dates (march 18th - march 24th) and others were $425-$500 for two tickets from Caracas; does that seem normal? I read that you can get tickets at the airport for $60 USD a piece. $60 seems more reasonable than $250 given that it's a 35 minute flight. Has anyone used the ferry? If so what was your impression and how much did it cost?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Margarita Island

There is no ferry from CCS to Margarita.

I find it very hard to believe that any airline would be sold out for those dates 1 month in advance although it is a Friday. In most cases it's the websites that don't work properly.

Why not write an email to Magic Tours - they may be able to help you out.

I wouldn't arrive in Venezuela on a Friday & try to get seats without a reservation.

4. Re: Getting to Margarita Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island