We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

I am travelling to Santa Elena de Uairen in February 2012 from Toronto and it looks like the cheapest flight would be to Margarita Island instead of Caracas. Can I get a bus from Porlamar to Cd Guayana or Cd Bolivar?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

If buses to Ciudad Guayana are available I suspect you would need to go to Puerto La Cruz first to find them. Puerto la Cruz can be reached from Margartia by ferry.

Several years ago I flew to Puerto Ordaz (western portiont of Ciudad Guayana) from Porlamar. I purchased the ticket locally in Porlamar using bolivars that I got from the black market at a cost of about $100us.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

The most convenient and fastest mode of transport from Margarita to Santa Cuidad Guyana would be to fly.

There are flights from the island to Ciudad Bolivar and Puerto Ordaz. I beleive you must go through Caracas to get a flight to Ciudad Guayana.

You can also take the bus but this means taking the ferry first to either Cumaná or Puerto la Cruz and this will make for a really long day of travel (if you can do it in one day!!)

With the exchange rate in your favor it makes the flights quite affordable.

Depending on the time of day you arrive from Toronto it may not be possible to make the connection to get a flight and would require an overnight on Margarita.

In this case your best bet for a hotel or guesthouse is in Playa el Yaque which is very close to the airport.

Altho a bus trip to Ciudad Guyana could very well necesitate an overnight somewhere.

The ferry to Puerto la Cruz is about a 31/2-5 hour trip and the ferry to Cumaná is about 3-4 hours but both normally necesitate a long wait for the ferry to leave.

Your best bet is to fly.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

CONVIASA airlines shows a flight Porlamar to Puerto Ordaz at 8:40 p.m.That would give you time for a connection if your flight from Toronto arrives in the afternoon.

You would probably then be looking at an overnight in Puerto Ordaz.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

Thanks to you both. It looks like flying will be the best bet. I'm still way ahead of the price for a regular flight through Caracas. Its amazing the help you can get on this site!

5. Re: bus from Margarita to Ciudad Guayana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island