We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Margarita Island

Barbados
Level Contributor
567 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Margarita Island

Hi,

We'll be visiting Margarita Island for one day off a cruise ship next month. We're just wondering what would you recommend to go and see?

Thanks!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

Why not hire Crusin-n-Style for a tour of the Island.

Marcella is an American with an air conditioned Ford Explorer with many years on the Island

You can see more information here:

http://www.casatrudel.com/crusin-n-style.htm

She is already booked for some dates - see her list on the website.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

Book a "Round the Island" tour with a local tour guide or just enjoy the beach. Most of the population resides on the eastern portion of the island leaving the western portion mostly unpopulated. The western portion has desertlike conditions with lots of cacti and is beautiful to see. The eastern portion has sub-tropical areas where big mango trees can be seen everywhere. The cruise along the eastern and northern shores is very nice due to the mountain and ocean views.

The cruise ship terminal is next to a nice fine sand beach with calm water. There is a little beach bar right on the beach from which you can buy drinks. There is also a larger beach bar with seating. The cruise ship terminal itself has a bunch of souvenir booths and an open-air restaurant-bar overlooking the ocean. The food is decent but expensive when paid for in US$. The pricing at the beach bar was more reasonable as it was outside the cruiseship terminal area and catered to non-cruiseship persons as well.

Barbados
Level Contributor
567 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

Thanks for the above.

Will there be people touting for business when we get off the ship and if so would it be possbile to tailor a trip to our needs do you know? We did a Caribbean cruise before and this was the case with the tours being a lot cheaper so we're hoping we may be able to do this again.

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

There is/was a company that works directly with the cruiseship companies providing island tours in air conditioned shuttle buses. I knew some people who worked for this company but I'm not sure if its still operating. You'd have to ask your cruiseship operator. If they are still operating I don't think they offer personalized service.

During my day at the terminal I didn't notice any tour sales but since I was not there as a cruiseship passenger I wasn't really looking for them. I spent the day there while a friend was driving one of the tour buses for the company I previously mentioned.

If its personalized tours are what you are seeking I suggest contacting one of the local tour guides by email or phone. They are usually quite willing to provide personalized service. There are a number of tour guides mentioned on this board any of which should be able to provide the service you seek. Marcos of Marcos Tours could possibily help. I met Marcos several years ago and found him to be a stand up guy. The only other tour guide I know is Walter of Walter's Tours but he is not providing services at this time. There are several other but I no nothing about them.

http://www.marcostours.com/

Barbados
Level Contributor
567 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

Thanks for the above information.

An island tour is what we had in mind. Could you give us your advice on what you'd consider to be the must sees of Margarita Island?

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

Some suggestions...

1. Visit at least one beach.

Here are good beaches where food and drink can be purchased.

Playa Caribe (very nice beach)

Playa El Agua (most touristy beach)

Playa Manzanillo (picturesque beach with fishing village complete with boats)

Playa Zaragoza (nice beach with food and drink)

Playa El Yaque (windsurfers paradise)

My recommendations would be Playa Caribe, Playa Manzanillo and/or Playa El Yaque.

2. Visit Valley of the Virgen (El Valle)

There is an important large church located here which is worth seeing. There is also a museum next to the church loaded with gold, silver, gems, etc. which can be interesting.

3. A drive along the northeast or eastern portions of the island can provide many impressive views. A drive up the moutains for an aerial view of the island is also a good drive.

4. Hermanos Moyas Arepera

Stop by this place for a quick lunch or snack. An Arepera is a place that makes arepas, a venezuelan food. The Moyas brothers make some good arepas.

5. Museo Marino

This marine museum is located in a small town called Boca del Rio. It located on the western half of MI and is worth a visit. They have some live sea turtles, sharks, and aqarium fish & corals. The also have a building loaded with skeletons, fossils and information about the aquatic life (current and historical) in the area.

6. Try some venezuelan empanadas (street food)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

If your time permits then a visit to Juan Griego to view the sunset would be worthwhile activity.

Barbados
Level Contributor
567 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

Thanks for all the help on this.

We visited Margarita Island last week and had a wonderful time. We took a tour from an operator located just inside the port. It cost $25 for a tour which lasted around 4 hours. It was well worth it. We went to the Castillo in Pampatar where the views were amazing. We also visited Playa Zaragoza which was a nice, quiet beach with nice scenery. We stopped along the way at some beautiful viewpoints and drove back along the very scenic west coast having previously seen some of the east coast at the start.

9. Re: One Day in Margarita Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:32
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island