We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car driving requirements

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car driving requirements

Would it be okay to drive in the Island with a US driver's license ?

Any particular car rental company to consider ?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lu

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car driving requirements

You can drive in Margarita Island with a USA driver's licence.

We have many guests at our B&B who rent cars with no problems.

Just remember there are no road rules here so you have to drive 100% defensively. If you do that you won't have any problems.

Here's a list of all the car rental offices at the Margarita airport:

aeropuerto-margarita.gob.ve/concesionarios/…

Enjoy your holiday!

2. Re: Car driving requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 August 2012, 20:57
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car driving requirements

Thank you a lot.. good information...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car driving requirements

You'll have no problems renting a car with a U.S. license. A potential problem is the credit card. Car Rental companies require a fairly hefty deposit to rent a car and it can be much larger than what we require in North America. Last time (3 years ago) I rented a car I needed around $1500 available credit on my card. Also I prefer to rent cars where I can pay cash in local currency rather than credit my credit card. The cost difference using local currency exchanged on the black market and the credit card charge is substantial. If you are renting for multiple days this approach can save you a lot of money.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car driving requirements

For a number of years I've dealt with a company located in front of Hotel Bella Vista called Margarta Rentals or Margarita Island Rentals and never had any problems. Actually, they helped me out a lot. The woman I dealt with gave me her personal phone no. just in case I had problem. I believe I also dealt with them when I visited Puerto Ordaz on the mainland where they also were quite helpful.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car driving requirements

Thank you a lot.

Do you happen to have a name or contact information for this company at the Hotel Bella Vista ?

I am thinking, it might be a good idea to make a reservation before arriving to the island...

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car driving requirements

Luis, it would totally depend on when you are going to be here.

If it's between Dec. 20 & Jan. 10, Feb. 8 - 13 or March 22 to April 1 then it would be a good idea to reserve in advance.

If it's outside those dates you should have no problem getting a car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car driving requirements

Sorry Luis, I misplaced my contact info for that location but the name of the woman I was dealing is Fannie. It is called Margarita Rentals and they have several locations including Hotel Bella Vista and the airport. I haven't used them in several years so I don't know how they are now.

There is a number listed on this page...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g316061-s304/Margarit…

Ciudad Guayana...
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car driving requirements

Hi, just be careful, and read the contract, some times they have insurance, but only covered if the transit police make a report of the incident if you or somebody scratch your car, for example, this insurance will not cover it and it will be charged to your credit card. You can also hire a car/van/4x4 with English speaking driver at established tour agencies.

Have a nice trip

Travel Safe!

Manfred Maroldt

Tour Guide

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car driving requirements

Posting #8

Margarita Rentals web site is: