We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet flights

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet flights

The other week Westjet announced it will offering flights to Trinidad from Canada during the winter season. For people who are look for air-only tickets this might be a good thing. I checked out out their website and was quoted a price less than $400 for a return flight out of Toronto. It appeared that taxes were included. If this is their regular price then it might be a great route to get to MI. It would depend on the cost of a return flight to MI from Trinidad and the frequency of those flights.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet flights

My godson is using the Caribbean Airlines (CA) route from CCS / Trinidad / Toronto / Trinidad / CCS at a very reasonable price when compared to Air Canada.

Not as good as direct flights but getting there.

For direct "air only" flights to Margarita in the winter there are also the charter flights from Toronto & Montreal.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet flights

We have some guests coming from Toronto on Westjet via POS and the connection time (to Conviasa) is just over an hour in POS.

Not a bad way to get to the island for Canadians.

B.C.
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet flights

Considering the West Jet flight to POS then Conviasa to PMV. I've found

a West Jet flight 2772 arrives at 06:00 and the Conviasa flight leaves at 16:30 for a 10 1/2 hour wait.

Can't find a 1 hr. wait.

Return flight West Jet 2773 POS to YYZ leaves at 07:00 requiring an overnight in POS.

Any details on flights for the 1hr wait ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet flights

"Not as good as direct flights but getting there."

I found using Air Canada to fly to Caracas and Laser to get to Porlamar a much more pleasant experience than flying in the sardine cans the charters operate. Better seats, better entertainment and more comfort. The best thing was I didn't have to deal with arrival or departure lineups I've always encountered with the charters. Of course if the charters operating the direct flights had the cheaper air-only price then I'd fly with them!

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet flights

My mistake-long layover in POS like 10-14 hours.

B.C.
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet flights

The Westjet Flights are indeed a good deal and can be booked thru Expedia or other sites. However the Conviasa flight is proving to be very problematic.

I booked the flight on Despegar (you must sign in from county other than Ven. ) I used USA. Booked flight and paid by M/C without a problem. Received confirmation immediately and was informed E tickets would be sent in up to 24 hours. Five days later an email from Despegar indicated that the transaction had been cancelled. A call to the US only 1-800 # and was informed that Conviasa will not sell tickets "in the USA".

Conviasa web site and Ven. travel agencies cannot sell Conviasa tickets for flights which originate outside of Ven. ( Interestingly one of the international ticketing locations is Damascus Syria. But I'll pass on that option.)

Next option was to call a travel agent in Trinidad. No luck there either. Was told it would be a local transaction and cash only. Didn't try other agencies.

I have a couple of other plans such as calling friends to book for me in Madrid and Bogota where Conviasa claims they sell tickets.

It appears that the '"easy" option to enter thru POS directly PMV is not quite that easy.

If any of our experts out there can help it would be appreciated

Edited: 08 November 2012, 21:24
Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet flights

If you have friends in Venezuela who can book and pay for the flights for you I think that is your best bet

B.C.
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet flights

My Venezuelan travel agent cannot purchase in Venezuela Conviasa flights which originate from outside of Venezuela. I am disappointed that Despegar allows you to book the POS X PMV flight if you log in as a USA purchaser then cancels the transaction days later. If you log in as a Venezuelan purchaser the flight is not offered.

Log in from Colombia offers the flight but I am reluctant make the considerable effort to set it up only to see it fall through again.

B.C.
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet flights

At this time I advise you not use the Port of Spain,Trinidad route to get to the island as it appears Conviasa (the only airline flying POS X PMV) is not flying this route for the Christmas period. I checked their web site after reading that they were adding more national flights. It appears that the earliest they will start up again is the 2nd week of Jan. All national flights and ferries to the island are reported fully booked from now until Christmas. Getting off the island by national routes will be a problem from Christmas to 2nd week in Jan.

quebec
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Westjet flights

.I'm trying to come to Margarita with the Westjet connection from Port of Spain at the beginning of January.How can I get info,prices,schedules and buy tickets.? I'm in Canada.Thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island