We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

Any information of immunizations for Margarita island? We will be there late December and are planning to do the one day trip to Angel Falls as well.

How about access to International Banking machines in Margarita? Are they available or is it advisable to take money with you?

Thanks in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

Hepatitis vaccinations would be a good idea for Margarita or for anywhere else you might travel.

With regards to the mainland you would need to worry about Yellow fever and Dengue fever. Both result from mosquito bites. Not sure about vaccines but I do recommend a good insect repellant for daytime and nightime use. Since you are only planning a day trip to the mainland use of insect repellant should be sufficient.

There are banking machines work on both Interac and Plus networks. Make a note of which network(s) your bank uses. You can withdraw money from machines but you would be much better off if you brough US bills in denominations of $50 and $100. These can be exchanged on the parallel (black) market for a much higher exchange rate than what a bank machine would give you. I was told the other week its possible to get 12BsF for 1US$. That is more than double the official rate so your money would go more than twice as far. US dollars may also used to pay for tours such as your planed Angel Falls trip.

Don't worry about finding out in advance where to exchange US dollars on the black market. Once you are there just ask around and you will quickly find a money exchanger. Other tourists will be able to tell you or locals will let you know.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

You should try to avoid using Debit and Credit cards while visiting MI. Personally I will only use them for emergencies or for car rentals. The potential for fraud is a little higher there than here in TO.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

mig-admin & others

There is little problem with card fraud these days at ATMs as almost all now use the chip reader which has reduced the problems greatly.

You will get around 180% more for your money if you bring US$ cash.

The ATMs will convert @ Bs.4,3 to US$1 while you can get a much higher rate everywhere.

If you are planning on going to Angel Falls (Canaima) during the Christmas / New Year's period it would be wise to pre-book it as it is a very busy time.

Use a reputable tour agency like Magic Tours.

You can see more info here:

www.islamargarita.com/magic-tours-english.htm

Enjoy Margarita!

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

md-admin and PlayaElAgua,

What can you tell me about general security in MI. I hear all kinds of stories ranging from; it is perfectly safe to other end, it is pretty bad in terms of crime.

Is it OK to go to the towns and stroll around? i would think that the hotels and resorts are pretty OK with their own security but what about the rest of the island - parks and public beaches and shopping?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

I'm Canadian from Toronto & have lived here more than 25 years.

Our B&B is located in Playa El Agua beach & in 25 years I've only had 1 problem back in 2001 that was due to my own carelessness. We've had thousands of guests from all over the world during that time. Has there been the odd problem over the 25 years? - sure.

Just a couple of years ago a young 23 year old from California decided that meeting new friends & sharing coke with them was a great idea. He passed out on the beach & his "friends" took everything that he had on him which wasn't much. We kicked him out of the B&B when he showed up at the door without his key, no shoes or shirt & almost incoherent.

In other words the other 99.9% of the guests we've had have had no problem at all. They enjoy the night life & the day life going all over the Island as we do. We have two couples staying with us now, one from the US & one from the UK. Both couples are having a great time.

Don't do stupid things - wearing flashy jewelry or watches, gold chains, walking around drunk at 2 AM, etc., etc. Just use your head like you would at home & you'll be fine.

You'll love Margarita!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

Number one rule is don't make yourself a target.

Venezuela is a poor country and in the past 10 years crime has been on the rise. There are people who think they can make a quit buck from tourists.

Keep the jewelry at home. You don't need it and there are those that might be tempted to steal it.

Don't carry to much money on you. A decoy wallet with expired credit cards and a little cash is a good idea if you intend to wander around a lot.

Hide electronics like cameras, phones, etc when not in use. Those are things crooks can sell for a buck.

If you go somewhere at night use taxis rather than walking. Also be careful which taxi you select. The ones at your hotel are good. Its also beneficial to get to know a taxi driver and get his/her number. Look for licensed cabs if you are not at the hotel. There are many cabs that are not licensed. Many of these licensed cabs can be good but some are not.

Don't walk around with a purse. I remember an american couple dressed in very touristy hawaiin shirts. They really stood out and the woman ended up having her purse stolen as she was getting in a taxi.

Getting drunk outside the resort can be a problem. Years ago I exitted a bar totally inebriated and got in the first cab I seen. It was not licensced. To make a long story short the guy was going to rob me but I convinced him it would be a bad for his health if he did. I had broken rule number one but had gotten lucky.

If you are out and about you should know your surroundings and make note of those around you. Whenever I wandering around the island I exercise a lot of caution. I know I'm a tourist and I know I might be considered a target by those looking to make a buck so I act accordingly.

Learn some spanish. While its not necessary for a successful vacation it can really help improve it!

Here is a good free site if have little of no spanish.

http://www.studyspanish.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

There are many wonderful beaches that you can visit but when visiting don't leave your stuff unattended unless you can ensure no one can steal it.

http://www.margaritaislandbeaches.info/

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

Thank you both for the advice. We have been to Caribbean many times and we generally follow what you had written above. I was trying to get a feel for what it is like in MI as this would be our first visit there.

9. Re: Seeking Margarita Island and Angel falls information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations