We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Since the rise in the dollar lately in MI, how much should I pay in USD for a ride to Porlamar at these high rates of exchange? Will 5 USD cover it or should I pay 10?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Do not pay in dollars!!! Get some Bs. and pay with local currency.

The rate from the airport to Porlamar is about BsF. 200 (or $10)

But if you pay in dollars the taxi drivers will probably try to gouge you.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 11:32
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Thanks i_p, but in my case I have never been gouged by taxi at the airport. I have always asked if they could take me to my destination for 10 dollars and not one had ever had problem with that. It's the only thing that I pay in dollars because newly arrived, I'm don't have Bs on me just yet. I don't mind supporting the cab drivers. I like them. They work for their money instead of scamming people, like some. This time, I will make a deal for 10 and when I get out, I'll give him 20, just to make the poor guy's day. LOL They deserve it. Most of them are really nice guys just trying to support their families.

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

That;s very nice of you but why don't you take a few hundred Bs home with you so you'll have a little when you come back?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Got that covered too Ibar. I have a friend in high places here who is providing me with just that! I may or I may not be back. Never know what turns life could take. I usually get it down to my last Bolivar in the airport on departure.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 02:39
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Come to think of it, 200 Bs is actually nearly $50 on the official exchange. I've always wondered what the point of me having to carry a newspaper in my wallet if I'm not benefiting from the inflation or devaluation?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

demay0

good for you and, yes, Bs 200 is usd $46.51 at the official rate so thats why I say pay in local cullency.

I do not understand your ''newspaper in the wallet''

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

LOL Newspaper means the wad of bolivars you usually receive for your dollars! It's like carrying around a newspaper! ;) You may pay in local currency but business are not supposed to charge the parallel rate, correct? I heard Chavez had some controls in place against businesses raising prices but really, how is he going to enforce that?

Edited: 21 January 2013, 04:16
Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

Ho hum demay0 seems to be the expert in all that is Margarita. Who knows about Chavez-is he alive or do the Castros run this insanity?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

I never claimed to be an expert. I'm sorry, but I appear to be making you alittle uncomfortable for some reason.

10. Re: Taxi from Airport to Porlamar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 14:49
Edited: 22 January 2013, 14:49
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations