We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
What to bring

It may be a bit early, but what would be good to bring to MI in the summer? I have seen from a local website that things such as coffee, tea, margarine and sugar are in short supply or non-obtainable. What would be good to bring, not only for one's self (my family has their own place), but as gifts? Thanks.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 22:08
La Casa de Esther
££ - £££, Caribbean, Latin, Venezuelan
Il Nonno Pizzeria
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza, European
Arepas de Los Hermanos Moya
£, Caribbean, Latin, Fast food
Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring

Definitely bring tea if you are tea drinkers.

Haven't seen any in months & months.

We get guests to bring it for us from Canada or the USA.

Coffee is generally available these days but of dubious quality.

Most of the B&B's & hotels will have things like sugar & some type of margarine.

Liguor, wine, beer & pop are all readily available.

Don't bring gifts - plan on tipping with cash for bartenders, chamber maids, etc.

Bs.20 is US$1, Bs.100 is $5.currently.

Check on the rates closer to when you come.

Enjoy Margarita from a fellow Canadian.

Mentioned in this post
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring

Thanks...I'll check back closer to the trip. The gifts I meant were for neighbours in the condo community where I stay. I generally take maple syrup and other Canadiana type things (Canadian Club is always a favorite), but I thought I could also bring things like tea. Glad to hear rum is readily available...usually my lunch and dinner.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring

And breakfast?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring

Beer and arepas!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring

My family is heading down in a couple of weeks and I will be joining them mid-July. Are there any essentials (toilet paper, soap, food, tea, etc.) that are hard or impossible to get? Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring

Just following up as I haven't heard anything yet and I am getting stuff together to send the first week of July...any response would be nice. I have tea for Dan and was planning on bringing some novelty items, but I am not sure what is specifically in short supply. A trip to a Loonie Store up here is easy, inexpensive, and appreciated; but I was hoping to get more detailed responses. No worries, but if someone from the island has a few moments, let me know what would be appreciated...thanks.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to bring

Hi Brett,

We just got back from a 4 week road trip in the USA & Canada and brought back 6 boxes of Lipton tea, enough for 1 year. :-)

I'm sure there are other tea drinkers that would appreciate getting some.

The thing with Margarita is that one day there are shortages & the next it's there.

There are literally no shortages of things that are not price controlled.

Unlike the tea situation where it just disappeared other things come & go. When they are available we stock up so really are never without. An example would be Crest toothpaste. It also just disappeared one day but there is plenty of Colgate so no problem.

This may not answer your question fully but it's the best answer I can give.

Mentioned in this post
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to bring

Thanks for the reply. I'll just go with the usual and go from there...it always works out in the end...take care and maybe see you there.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to bring

I'd be happy to see you.

Just contact me through the TA mail.

10. Re: What to bring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island