We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for cheaper prices???

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for cheaper prices???

So I'm looking to surprise my wife with a vacation.

Margarita Island, I heard about years ago from a Trinidadian friend. However, I checked out the prices for hotels and came up with $200 to $400 per night? Anyone know any place in the $100 to $110 or even $150 range. I'm really not up to paying this 200 canadian via expedia, etc.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

The reason you are seeing such high prices is that the booking agencies are using the "official" exchange rate to book large hotels.

You should consider contacting one of the many independent B&B's or small hotels on Margarita.

You will find many with excellent facilities in the $40 to $60 per night price range for 2 people per night.

One website that has B&B's, apartments, etc is here:

http://www.islamargarita.com/islamargp3.htm

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

Thank You so much. I really appreciate it. It looks like Magarita Island is going to be the one. With rates like these, it really makes it affordable to stay on a two week intimate vacation with my woman.

I'm assuming its not costly at all to eat out? rent a car? and so forth? In other words, its not going to cost me a fortune to be a tourist, and do tourisity stuff?

Lastly, not to be a bug, i'm coming from Toronto, Canada. How do I get there? Any good rates for Airfare? I'm thinking Air Canada to Caracas, Aruba, or Curacoa and then make our way to Magarita on a local airline. The cheapest possible way I could think of is West Jet to Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago with a connecting flight onwards once the rates fall.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

My godson used Caribbean Airlines to POS, Trinidad which arrived early in the morning.

He then needed 2 short flights - one to Caracas & then the 35 minute flight to Margarita.

Benefit - cheap.

The alternative is Air Canada from Toronto to Caracas & then the shuttle to Margarita..

Easier but more expensive.

B.C.
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

Try Westjet Toronto to Port of Spain. Then Conviasa direct to Margarita. Conviasa can be problematic as you will have to have someone in Venezuela make a reservation then you can buy the ticket at the airport in Port of Spain. Conviasa won't sell you a ticket in Venezuela for a flight originating from outside of Venezuela. This is the situation to the best of my knowledge If I am mistaken I am sure someone will pipe in.

Plan on using this route myself in a few weeks. Only problem for down leg is a 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. wait in Port of Spain and on the return leg an overnight stay. I will probably return via Caracas /Miami (AA) or Porlamar/Miami (Avior) taking advantage of Venezuelan ticket pricing.

Porlamar
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

you could also google margarita island rentals to find potential options

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

Thank You so much for the information. I really appreciate all your help.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

I agree it's better to travel from Trinidad. You can call the Conviasa agents at 18686232780 ask for Marie or Ignasia. They are very friendly and will assist you. Hope this helps

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

Hi Folks. Thank You for your kind help on these issues. I have researched the prices for bed and breakfast and found it very reasonable. I am looking at a two week vacation for sure, so I could surprise my wife with a baby, lol. One more thing I wanted to know if you don't mind- (Sorry if I am gouging for info).

I have avoided "spanish countries" due to the language barrier as it is easier for them to rip me off. However, the prices are unbelievable enough ( and the country seems good enough), that its worth the risk, I suppose. Here are my questions?

1.Please if you can educate me on these black market prices/ exchange rates? Naturally I did a little hiking around these forums, and apparently if you go to the guy in the shop, behind the alley, side of the road and not the bank or the "official" money exchanger, you get more for your dollar?

2. My second issue is the Venezuelan airlines. Some people say, if you exchange your money elsewhere, and not pay in US (I carry Canadian), then you would pay up to 50% less. I am sure here in Canada, they will exchange me Venezuelan Money for the official exchange rate though, so is that a sacrifice I have to make to get a ticket at the airport? Or is there someway around that. (Lets say, don't change any money in Canada, and once in Venezuela, get the money exchanged for a favourable rate)

3. My plan lastly, is at first to do research, however, once on Magarita, to get to the bed and breakfast or indie hotel, and get my information there. Example, do's an do nots, price, places to go and not go, tipping policies, things to do, etc. I am however wondering if there is some sort of tell all source for surviving in this place? I am not an overkill person, some of these touristy complaints I take with a grain of salt as I deal with North American people on a daily basis. But I can tell you, I wish to avoid being robbed, kidnapped, and overcharged. (I take it then a car would not be a good idea)

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

I will try and answer your questions as best I can but I would like to say that the best way to enjoy Margarita is not worry about all the details. have some faith in the place you are going to stay at & trust the owner to answer all your questions.

Just some background I'm a Canadian from Toronto who has lived here for more than 25 years. Believe me when I say you don't have to worry when you visit Margarita. I've had a B&B here for all that time & not one guest who behaved normally has had a problem. The few exceptions over all that time (less than 5) were involved in drugs or were wandering around totally wasted at 2 AM.

1) Black Market rates. Usually the owner of the B&B can direct you to the best place to exchange your US$ - don't bring CDN$!

2) The best way to arrange your national airline reservations is through a local travel agent. All m,y guests use Magic Tours here in Playa El Agua.

You can see more info here:

http://www.islamargarita.com/islamargp3.htm

3) As I pointed out in the first part of my post just don't sweat the details. Everything will be fine.

The difference between the "official" rate & the "unofficial" rate is almost 3x. Bring US$ cash & you'll find everything is very inexpensive.

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for cheaper prices???

Thank You for your response. I would take your advice.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island