We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Margarita from England

London, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
39 reviews
Travel to Margarita from England

Hi guys,

In 2005, 2006 and 2007, I spent 2 weeks a time at Laguna Mar in Margarita. I absolutely adored the place and have since got married and would really love to take my husband. He is very interested to see why i have such a love for the place.

I can't find anywhere that flies to Margarita from England anymore... why is this? are there any plans to start again??

Any information would be really helpful :)

alkmaar
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
1. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

Quite simply: there are plenty of other Caribbean destinations for tourists from Europe that are comparable with the Isla Margarita you once knew and loved. If you are going to fly 9 hours you might just as well fly to Cuba, Mexico or the Dominican Republic. These destinations are cheaper and safer. Things have taken a terrible wrong turn in Venezuela and the touroperators, and not only those from Britain, but also those from the mainland of Europe no longer want any part of it.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

camilo4:

What is your problem with Margarita. It's almost like you are just waiting to say something bad about Margarita Island.

All your 29 posts are about Margarita. You supposedly live in Holland. What is your problem?

You can get to Margarita with a flight to Caracas & a 35 minute shuttle flight to Margarita.

For more information have a look at http://www.casatrudel.com/linksenglish.htm

Edited: 18 July 2011, 00:32
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
3. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

mrsvickibera, since First Choice pulled out (due to the recession) there are no direct flights, but you can fly to Barbados or Trinidad and then connect with LTA Aerotuy. Another option as playaelagua says is connect via Caracas. You might find a cheap fare with Air Europa, Delta, Air France or Iberia.

camilo4, there are many expats living in Margarita. Should they leave too as you seem better informed? Dominica Republic, Mexico, Jamaica, Antigua, Trinidad - many countries in the Caribbean are no safer or unsafer than Margarita. We aren't going to enjoy life if we hide under our bed. Many people are scared of going to New York or London because of terrorism but they still do.

alkmaar
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
4. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

@Playa el Agua: you are wrong: I love Margarita and if I could, I would return tomorrow. My last stay (5 weeks in January/February of this year) was one of my best vacations ever. Would not want to live there, though.

Anyhow: mrsvickybera just wants to know why she can't go there anymore. I gave her my answer which I think is more than just a personal opinion. All European touroperators have pulled out of Margarita. Why fly nine hours when there are similar, but safer and cheaper destinations elsewhere in the Caribbean? What is your explanation?

Mrsvickybera should consult her travelagent for the truth about Margarita, because it obviously not possible to get an unbiased opinion about Margarita on this forum...

From all your postings I understand that you are in the tourist business. Your posting "Margarita is perfectly safe" really bothered me. How can you say such a thing when you should know that the tourist safety-situation is the biggest concern with the Margarita tourist-authorities! Tourists getting shot near and even in their hotels! Don't you read El Sol de Margarita? It's available on the internet too, you know. Stop misleading innocent tourists and tell them the way it is. Some of them would still come to Margarita, but others are better off by choosing a different Caribbean destination.

@dillisw: many expats have left or would like to do so, if only they could. Just a few years ago I went looking for a house on Margarita and what I found opened my eyes: these houses, owned by expats, had been on sale for years; the owners had said goodbye forever to Margarita, leaving everything behind. You could buy the house with everything in it, from the owners pajamas to their cars.

In 2010 I spoke with a Dutch couple at Margarita Airport. They had no idea about what to do with their property on the island, but they were leaving for good too. New Year's day their next door neighbour (from Germany) had a gun put to his head when he opened his front door. Turned out the criminals had cut a hole through the gardenwall to get in, thus avoiding all the perimeter security-measures. The criminals left with everything, including the weddingrings (they threatened to cut the wife's finger if she continued to claim that she could not get the ring off) Also they said they would take her husband with them for ransom and they would kill him.

Earlier this year I met an expat from Holland. I spoke with him just outside the new Sigo (the one next to the Sambil). Yes, they had been robbed a couple of times, it did'nt seem to have bothered him to much, but while we were talking, he never stopped watching his grocery-cart and the people around him. When I asked him about that, he told me that on Margarita you have to be prepared anytime, anywhere.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
5. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

camila04, there are many expats that want to carry on living here in the Caribbean as well, trust me! I met somebody last week that had just moved here with his family as he was sick of the Northern European winters (and summers). What i am saying is, you have to put it into context. This isn't Rotterdam or Eindhoven. Margarita is in South America, of course there are dangers, but it is quite rare to be on the receiving end of something unless you are careless. You are right, anyone can read the local papers here online. You can do the same with other tourist destinations and read about incidents. Mexico and South Africa to name just two, but people still go.

All through posts in the Venezuela forums you will see posters like myself and playaelagua telling tourists to follow the basic security procedures as you would for visiting any country in the third world.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 14:26
alkmaar
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
6. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

Like I said: my vacation on Margarita in January/February of the this year was one of the best. But then I know better than to leave the hotel at night, not to double-lock my door (and blocking it with some furniture) etc. etc.

But having to take precautions like these are not to every tourists taste; most of them just want a carefree place to spend their holidays in the sun.

I am aware similar problems exist elsewhere. On Curacao (which is part of the Dutch kingdom) in the first six months of this year already about 260 violent robberies were reported. And 29.000 thefts (on a population of 160.000 people).

Ottawa
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

Camilo4 all mrsvickibera wants to know is why tour operators from England don't go to MI anymore not why people are trying to sell their houses. Totally out of context.

As for safety... I believe MI is as safe as Cuba, Dominican Repulic or Jamiaca. I stayed on MI for a couple months as a single 24 year 4 years ago and I had no problems. I don't believe that England would stop going there for safety concerns at this point when Canada still recommends vacationing there. I honestly believe it has something to do with the recession as stated in a previous post.

My finance and I will be heading to MI in Feb 2012 for an all inclusive vacation and I don't ever hesitate going back. Just take the normal precautions you took the last time you where visiting MI and all should be good.

I hope you have a great time.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

Myself & husband have spent 5 fantastic holidays at the Luguna Mar but as the only UK tour operator pulled out (First Choice ) we had no option but to try elsewhere, this being Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. What a lovely place we found it to be & had an equally if not better holiday, so much so, we are returning this Sept to Catalonia Royal Hotel. So dont dispair, there is life after Margaria.

London, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

I have just been reminiscing with my friends about Margarita and remembered I had posted this. I am sorry to cause arguement.s

I am really sad that they have stopped Margarita altogether. I know there are other islands that are just as nice if not better - I am going to Dominican this year and went to Maldives previously which was amazing but I would still love to go back to Margarita. It brings back fabulous memories and I just adored the place.

Connecting flights do not bother me, I just liked to book as a package. I may have a look into booking flights and then booking directly with the hotel and see what the prices are.

Thank you for all of your replies, and I am jealous that you can all travel there so easily!! :)))

Juan Griego...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
10. Re: Travel to Margarita from England

Hi Vicki. I am an Irish guy who owns a hotel here in Margarita. Many of my family and friends live in London, and it use to be really easy for them to come and see me with First Choice flying directly into the island. They cut the Margarita route - and a few other long-haul services - a few years ago because of the economic crisis. That left quite a few Brits who had bought houses here facing a fairly long journey with a European carrier from UK to Caracas via Paris, Madrid, Lisbon Rome or Frankfurt, then the 40 minute local flight from Caracas to Margarita. I´ve done this journey a few times and it is a real pain in the arrse unless you get good connections. Just depends how much you want to come to Margarita, or if you are doing a larger trip around Venezuela/South America. Then it is probably worth the hassle. But if I was going on a sun-seeking 2 week family holiday, I would probably just take a direct charter from the UK with First Choice, Thomas Cook or whoever and go to Cuba/DR and some other easier place to get to. As far as crime here in Margarita is concerned, it has become a greater problem over the last few years. Anybody who says otherwise is probably (like me) working in the local tourism industry and trying to gloss over the sad and unpalatable truth. But as someone said previously, this is South America. It is certainly not Disneyland - travellers/tourists/locals get robbed, mugged, murdered more frequently here than in Asia for example. Usually drugs are involved in onw way or another. On saying that, having worked with thousands of people passing through our place, personal horror stories have been few and far between. It seems that bad things usually happen to other people and their stories then get repeated, exaggerated and adopted!!!! By way of comparison with Margarita, Trinidad recently had a curfew imposed with people obliged to be off the streets between 10pm and 5am. Drug related crime is rampant in Jamaica, Antigua, St. Vincent. And, in response to camilo4, the previous Dutch owner of my hotel, who left Margarita because he was worried about the crime, was stabbed to death outside his restaurant bar by a drunked Dutch man in the small, conservative town of Tuitjenhorn in the Netherlands (noordhollandsdagblad.nl/nieuws/stadstreek/sc…) So maybe he would have been safer staying in Margarita!!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Porlamar