We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

avoiding Caracas

hartford ct
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
avoiding Caracas

We have been going to Margarita for more than 10 years and absolutely cannot tolerate going through CCS. I have heard there is a way to get to Porlamar from Trinidad avoiding CCS entirely. Is this true and if so, how do I book it. We sadly will not be returning to Margarita if we have to go through CCS. Thanks to everyone for whatever advice you have.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: avoiding Caracas

Easy-seeing that you are from Connecticut check out AVIOR airlines. They have a flight that leaves Miami in the afternoon (14:00hrs) and makes a change in Barcelona/Puerto La Cruz (not the Barcelona in Spain!!) This flight should allow you to get something out of your area and get to Miami with plenty of time to make the flight to Margarita.

This is by far a WAY better option for getting to the island without the Caracas thing to deal with.

The Barcelona airport is a much smaller and much more laid back airport than Caracas (Maiquetia) Also you will not encounter any hassle or husslers.

Customs and immigration is a breeze as there are almost no other international flights that use that airport so the longest line you will have will most likely only be the passengers from your flight.

I will use no other carrier to Miami anymore excepting an emergency.

Their web site is: www.aviorairlines.com

They do have an office in Miami and the phone number is on the web site.

I had family use the Port of Spain route coming from the midwest and it required an overnight in POS as the flights POS-PMV leave too early to connect. It is also substancially more expensive.

hartford ct
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: avoiding Caracas

thanks so much, I did check and it appears that there is a 12 hour layover in Barcelona....could that be? The fare out of Miami on Avior is also around $1300 -- ouch. Looks like we will be giving up our timeshare at Dunes, its just too expensive to get there. Not so once we arrive, however. Perhaps we can try a tour fare from Canada. We love it too much to give up easily.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: avoiding Caracas

Lynn,

As far as I'm aware there is no layover.

You land in Barcelona at around 5.30 PM & the flight to Margarita is around 8 PM.

I just did a search on their website and they are showing the onward tp Porlamar at 6 AM however I would call them in Miami to confirm this as this is new.

(1) 305-470-2203

The return to Miami is as before lv PMV at 6.45 AM & get to Miami before 1 PM.

I never understood why this flight leaves from Barcelona & not Margarita.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: avoiding Caracas

Flights leave Barcelona for Margarita at 6am and 8pm daily. I used Avior to go to Miami and made the onward connection without a problem at 8pm.

I can't understand why they cannot check you in all the way through in either direction though! You have to get your bags in Barcelona always and check in again!

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: avoiding Caracas

Yea, the double check-in is a nuisance but really did not take me long to do it since the airport is quite small and the line was not really that big-it does help while away the hour and whatever layover.

I guess the double check-in on the return is due to the fact that the BLA-PMV flight is a national flight and arrives at the national terminal in Margarita where there is no customs or immigration.

It would be sweet if it did leave and arrive from PMV-and truth be told-when I flew the majority of the Miami passengers had originated in Margarita!!

PlayaElAgua- do you remember how much exit tax you paid upon leaving BLA? If my memory serves me right it is much less than PMV or CCS. PMV is now like Bs. 380 and CCS is Bs 190 plus some stupid Vargas state tax on top that makes it equivelent to PMV`s exit tax.

Anybody got the latest CCS, PMV and BLA exit tax figures-haven´t left from CCS since semana santa.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: avoiding Caracas

BLA in May was around BsF.160 if my memory is correct.

In Miami it was $60 which is an Avior charge as far as I can figure out, not a government tax.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: avoiding Caracas

I remember it being Bs. 160 or 190 not sure.

So it IS much less exit tax from BLA vs. CCS or PMV!

But in Miami I asked about the $60 charge and was told it was part U.S. state department and part U.S. Department of Agriculture or maybe it was U.S.State Dept. charges.

If you where to purchase your tickets in the U.S. it would be buried in the price of the ticket.

8. Re: avoiding Caracas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Porlamar
Recent Conversations