We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overkill at the Airport.

Which Porlamar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Overkill at the Airport.

Is there something seriously wrong with people running this airport when they manually check everyone's baggage not once, but THREE times? Took me two hrs to arrive upstairs where it was stifling hot with no air circulation and the restaurant closing. Why do they insist on treating tourists like absolute crap at Santiago Marino Airport? Several people were so angry that they vowed never to return to Margarita again. Air Transat says that they tried to talk to officials to speed things up for travellers but that they just will not listen. Not even Caracass has this much security and the drug lords actually live there. What is wrong with these people in Margarita. The worst airport in the Carribean, hands down. They treat you like sh*t. I help their economy and they treat me worse than sh*t upon exit. There's something serioulsy wrong with this airport. I'm sick of their attitude. I don't need this treatment from Margarita. Really makes me angry that they have this lousy attitude. That's gratitude for you. They really go out of their way to discourage recidivism. They litterally go the extra mile in this department at that God forsaken airport and tourists should be aware of it.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

The third inspection was done when boarding the airplane. Can you imagine the frustration? I have never seen an airport that checks while you're embarking just to pee you off. What else could it be? One guy at counter at immigration. One guy. I don't think they could have made the experience any more miserable if they tried.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

They are searching for drugs. Given the Venezuela shares a border with Columbia they are extremely sensitive about drug running through MI.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

I know but how many searches do they have to perform before they are satisfied? What do they care what goes out of the country?? They'll catch it Toronto. I think they get off on being arseholes to tourists. What do they care what goes out?

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

I was there about 5 years ago, I guess I knew what to expect so it didnt bother me too much last week. It actually went much quicker for me this time especially when I arrived, last time arrival was as bad as departure.

I just figure thats part of the price you pay for visiting Margarita. I didn't find the National Guard bad they, had a job to do and did it. My checked bag was only checked once but my carry on was checked twice if you dont include running it through the scanner, they had a cool dog there sniffing around too. I certainly wasnt worried about someone sneaking explosives on the plane that is for sure.

I will still go back, been stuck in airports allot longer for weather delays thinking theres no chance of a snow delay there anyway lol

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

I don't care what they're looking for. There is no reason to treat people like a herd of steer waiting to be branded. It's despicable, the treatment you get at that airport. There is no justification for it whatsoever. It's just some little insecure banana republic trying to flex it's scrawnly little muscles to people who have nothing to do with their beefs with Western Governments.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 04:09
Toronto
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

\we were warned before so we knew what to expect. The Guards were pleasant and polite about it.

As for Venezuela being a "little banana republic|", you may not know, they are one of the largest producers of oil in the world. Not that you would tell from seeing the conditions of infra-structure in MI.

B.C.
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

Same security procedures at Maiquetia for at least 3 or 4 years, 3 security checks including a final body pat down (for most) just before entering the airplane. When passengers loaded with drugs arrive in Europe or other destinations on flights from Margarita the blame falls on Venezuela. It is unfortunate that law abiding tourists have to suffer delays at the airports on account of these drug smugglers.

I don't like spending hours in U.S.and Can. airports being ordered here and there removing my shoes and belt, waiting for the woman who left a bottle of hair conditioner in her carry-on bag as she argues with security, taking my laptop out in one airport and leaving it in at another etc. etc. but such is a traveler's life these days.

Hey Vito any good news stories from your latest visit. Always good to hear from someone who stays off the beaten path.

Ciao Pescao

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

If it were not for the stupid tourist drug mules whom try to use our airports as exit points for schlepping narcotics back to other countries the security proceedures at Santiago Mariño International airport would most likely be a little less of a hassle.

The jail of San Antonio on the island is full of foreign drug mules whom have caused this situation to exist.

I would not call this country ``some little insecure banana republic trying to flex it's scrawnly little muscles´´

When you get home and fill the tank of your SUV good chance it will be with petrol that came from this banana republic oil exporter.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

I also agree that the problem of the checks at the airport are the direct responsibility of tourists trying to smuggle drugs back to their home countries.

A few years ago we even had a guy with his ex-wife & 2 or 3 young children get caught trying to smuggle cocaine back to the UK.

Both husband & wife are still in the San Antonio jail even though there is a lot of doubt that the wife really knew what he was doing.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Overkill at the Airport.

The scrawny little banana republic comment I retract because really, I do love Venezuela. There's just so much to love about this country. It's got everything and then some. Was just frustrated, that's all. Spoke in error. The travel agencies should tell travellers to arrive at the airport MORE than 3 hrs before. 3 hrs might cut it for all other airports but it doesn't cut it for this airport. It really is a shame that this airport is the last impression many people will ever have of Margarita. I understand they have a responsibility to screen out the drugs but on the other hand they don't do it in an intelligent, expeditious way that minimizes inconvenience for the innocent ones.There HAS to be a better way. I would prefer the dogs sniffing the bags, once and then moving on. A drug cannine would detect coke, guaranteed. Even with these overkill security checks by hand, they still don't go through every pocket of every pair of pants you have. I'll bet alot still gets through in the nooks and crannies of your suitcase. But with the dog, you couldn't conceal it anywhere. No way, no how. Don't know why they don't just use this method. Also, a couple of years ago, I got selected for the body scannner and this year I noticed it wasn't there anymore. That was a small mercy, but still I had to board the plane hungry and if I thought I was upset about the airport I had no idea how upset I was going to be about the airline food I was about to eat. Air Transat: Worst food bar none. Not even up to TV dinner standards, truly.

Get answers to your questions about Porlamar
Recent Conversations