We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracas Airport Safety

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lugano, Switzerland
1 post
Save Topic
Caracas Airport Safety

I've been reading about the safety of the CCS airport and it's starting to scare me. I'm a 19 year old female and will fly there alone, but will be picked up at the gate after security and all that. Will I run into any trouble going through security and the likes or is it mostly after you get pastt the gates that the 'trouble' starts? What should I look out for?

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

You have nothing to worry about at all.

After you come off the plane you go to a vastly improved immigration hall, and after that to pick up your suitcase. Then drop it off at the Aduanas (Customs) where it will be rescanned. After that you walk straight out into the Arrivals hall. Only there will you get a few people offering you taxis and money change, but just ignore them as most do!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
193 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

Hi inside the airport you will be fine.. how ever watch for people asking to take your lugaage, they get somewhat agressive and its really annoying, after that just walk past by everything and you will be fine

Oslo
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

Hei... You will be fine as long as you ignore these people offering you taxi and money exchange.

Once you are outside the airport, take the first black SUV in the taxi line, It should be you the one who decides which taxi to get on. Well you mentioned that someone will pick you up.

Leave all valuable at home (necklace, rings etc).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

Interesting that someone says it is fine. I got my laptop stolen from the hand luggage by Guardia Nationala while they were searching my hand luggage at the airport !! I travel 4 months per year and Caracas is literally the worst airport I have been to.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

They took the laptop out of your hand luggage right infront of you? Did you notice this or not?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

Stop worrying, and start living!!!!!!

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

Diaenlavida, don't worry and just learn how to say "No gracias". Use it as you walk from customs to the person that will pick you up.

Gregas, please explain the hand luggage incident. I know the National Guard commander at the airport and he would love to hear this. Please provide date, time, and other details and I'm sure I can find out who slipped your laptop out of your handbag when you looked away (which is how I imagine it happened. Becuase obviously they can't take it in front of you while you are watching.)

Edited: 28 May 2011, 22:23
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
47 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

Hi Nelven. Apologies for late reply, I have not been able to check this forum frequently. What is your email address ? I will send you this information by private channel. This case has been reported to Norwegian Police as my insurance company requested, I also believe the Embassy was notified, but there was no further investigation.

Save Reply
9. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

At Caracas airport you need to be alert all the time, there are guys outside of the security that can steal things from you in a blink of an eye, you do not need to take their exchange, the Taxy will take US dollar, then you could exchange it on the bank on the next day, and remember to spend all the bolivares ( Venezuela's currency) before you leave otherwise you will have a hard time trying to get rid of it, there is not value of the bolivares anywhere in the world except Venezuela.

We had a hard time getting rid of the bolivares as we went to Guayaquil, Ecuador nobody wanted them, and remember Ecuador even use the US dollar as a currency made it so easy for tourist worldwide.

Save Reply
10. Re: Caracas Airport Safety

At Caracas airport you need to be alert all the time, there are guys outside of the security that can steal things from you in a blink of an eye, you do not need to take their exchange, the Taxy will take US dollar, then you could exchange it on the bank on the next day, and remember to spend all the bolivares ( Venezuela's currency) before you leave otherwise you will have a hard time trying to get rid of it, there is not value of the bolivares anywhere in the world except Venezuela.

We had a hard time getting rid of the bolivares as we went to Guayaquil, Ecuador nobody wanted them, and remember Ecuador even use the US dollar as a currency made it so easy for tourist worldwide.