We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Caracas

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
49 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife in Caracas

I've always been to some nightlife hotspots wherever I go and I have the same intensions in Caracas.

As I'll be there for Friday and Saturday night it for sure is the best time to see what's happening.

I'd like to see some really hot salsa clubs as well as the legendary Juan Sebastián Bar and maybe a fancy disco club.

Can you please recommend some places as well as how should one get there and back without getting killed as for my understanding the salsa clubs get crowded after midnight and are mostly located on Sabana Grande which is not a safe street after dark.

The other issue is the dress code - in order to be safe is wise to not stand out or wear anything fancy but those clubs have a dress code and people are looking fancy. That's kind of a contradictory task?

All advices how to DO what I'd like to are warmly welcome!

Juan Griego...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

If you want some excellent salsa in an authentic setting check out El Mani es Asi (http://www.elmaniesasi.com

It´s near Sabana Grande - best to arrive by taxi.

Also in Sabana Grande is Moulin Rouge - another live music venue (mostly rock) with a separate room for chilled out DJ sounds. People are generally friendly in these places - I´ve ended up in a few parties with people I´ve met while out alone prowling round Caracas.

Otherwise you should probably head over towards Mercedes area and take it from there. There´s a guy who rents out a room in Caracas - Nevin I think his name is - who can probably give you some good information. He always posts on these forums. Look for him and email him directly. He seems like a friendly, helpful sort of guy.

Have a good time, and try not to get drugged and robbed by beautiful prostitutes, waking up in a hotel room the next afternoon without money and clothes (it wasn´t me, honest)

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

Nelven ... that's me!

Hey, MSander ... I read this late. I hope you had a good time. I don't know how old you are but you seem like the type that would have enjoyed Barriott or Sawu in Las Mercedes, where they play from latin music to club dance, the ladies are beautiful, and you can show off your nice threads because everyone goes there dressed nicely.

On a less formal scale (and younger), you had 205 at the San Ignacio mall where they play a bit of everything....or Draft for some college crowd beer fun.

For a taste of a traditional working-class salsa place ... El Mani es Asi in Sabana Grande where the dress code is open (from jeans and t-shirt on up) and for a more urban salsa place (and safer ... with finer looking ladies) you had El Sarao in the Bello Campo mall.

Moulin Rouge in Sabana Grande is strictly for the Rock to Hip-Hop crowd. Crazy place full of crazy kids dressed in black.

The Juan Sebastian Bar you mentioned is just a place to have a drink and listen to some cool jazz...but it's not really a HOT night spot. You bump into grandmothers there sometimes,

Moving around Sabana Grande at night should be strictly by cab. San Ignacio is perfectly walkable (it's a mall), with Las Mercedes being simply walkable (pretty safe)

Hope others that need this info read this post!

Edited: 25 September 2011, 07:14
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
49 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

Thanks Nelven,

I'm in early 40-s, I love jazz (thats the reason for Juan Sebastian Bar) and salsa (however just a beginner dancer). As the world knows the fame of Venezuelan beautiful women I'd like to see some myself , too.

I'll be Venezuela in two weeks so it's good time to finalize gathering information.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

OK, so I was on time.

I calculated you were about that age, so yeah, then Sawu is the place for you, and Barriott too (also in Las Mercedes). These places "men over 25 only" (no low age limit for women). The dress codes there are "nice". Long sleeve shirt minimum. You see guys in jacket. Google them.

What you can do is go to Juan Sebastian's as a warm up and then at 11:30 go to one of the other places, same as with El Maní.

Cheers!

Edited: 25 September 2011, 17:00
Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

Man don´t go to Sabana Grande! it´s not a safe place for people not used to get around Caracas. It´s full of prostitutes, drug dealers, etc.

Stay in Las Mercedes where the top three discos in order are:

-Sawu

-Barriott

-Rosalinda

In any of them you´ll hear salsa and you´re ok to get in with a long sleeve shirt, blue jeans, no sneakers.

All the taxi drivers around know those places.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

Tatoweb, sorry to contradict you but I see that you're new around here, and I just want to let you now that to be a true Trip ADVISOR you cannot give travel advice like if it were for you and based on your own particular tastes. You have to provide people with the whole scope of things. The places you mention are just one small side (the highest) of Caracas nightlife. I know you do not go to El Maní es Así (have you at least been there once?) but you cannot LIMIT travelers to the closed life-style that some people lead in Caracas. You should not tell a traveler "don't go" but instead "go this way, not this other way, so you'll have a great time". I know many Venezuelans that have upper-east side New York apartments and know New York waaay better than they know Caracas. I feel sorry for their guests in Caracas, because they must only get taken to El Hatillo, San Ignacio, Teleferico, Tolón and THAT'S IT. Meanwhile, my driver has been giving "barrio tours" (slum dwellings) to my guests that want to see that up close (yes, there are ways of doing that minimizing the risks). The three clubs that you mention, adding Le Club and the special nights of La Foca and El Pinguino, are the places where the 18 to 35 or the 25 to 40 posh upper-class mostly white, 3rd generation Venezuelan (of Euro descent) crowd hangs out, and the rich are a very small percentage of the population, so only going to those places does not give a traveler what he normally wants to experience, which is the style and diversity of a whole city, from its rich to its poor, from its black to its white, from its posh to its bohemian, everybody.

The best time some of my guests have had have been precisely in Sabana Grande at El Maní es Así, the Triana Tropical, and even at the Moulin Rouge (if they're into the music). So Tatoweb, if you're going to start contributing here, please take this advice from a travel professional: Do NOT limit travelers to just the "nice" things according to your taste. We are not here to show off that we do not have a third-world life even though we live in a third world country. We must understand that strolling down Sabana Grande boulevard during the day and seeing the kids gathering around the mimes, the old men playing chess, and the working-class guys spending a day's salary buying their girlfriends' an ice cream cone, is precisely the feel that a traveler wants, and then at night, hitting the places where the real salsa lovers go. If what they wanted were just to HEAR salsa at a place, in their own countries there are salsa clubs.

Safety you think? There are ways ...there are ways (trustworthy drivers, company, dress styles, blending in, knowledge of schedules, keeping a low-profile, etc.)

Just right now, a German and a Swedish guest of mine are going to Rosalinda, but tomorrow they're going to the Bellas Artes museums and the Colonial Downtown (Yes, Plaza Bolivar). That's balance. That's tourism.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
49 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

What is the dress code for women for salsa bars and clubs ?

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

The dress code for salsa bars and clubs in general for 40+ women is pants and blouse. The nicer the place, the nicer the pants and blouse. Women that are very fit, tend to wear tight fitting clothes (lots of cleavage and tight fitting dress jeans). Women dress more formally than men here, always.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

Wow! Loved your post, well said :)

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife in Caracas

Nelven,

Very interesting posts. I may be coming to Caracas soon on business. I am a conservative businessman in my late 50's, no partyer by any means. Any thought on restaurants/nightlife when I am there? Thank you.