We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal to Caracas

j m
Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Montreal to Caracas

Hello, this is the first time I travel to Caracas.

I have been reading this forum and other websites.

My main concern is the kidnappings.

I am latino to begin with (Honduras) so I think I will blend in but I have lived my entire life in Montreal in one of the safest cities you can imagine.

My hotel is in Las Mercedes and my plane arrives after 9PM

The first thing they say is not to travel at night but this was the only thing my travel agent could get me.

They also say that the road from the airport to caracas is very dangerous at night,

I will be plainly dressed and will only carry a small carry on bag,

no watch, credit cards, jewellery or expensive electronics apart from my iPhone and small amount of cash.

If I'm kidnapped, they will surely be disappointed.... unless they ask for ransom. Am I being paranoid?

Should I change to arrive at an earlier time?

Any tips to get from the Airport to the hotel safely would be appreciated.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal to Caracas

First of all I think you are being overly paranoid-unless you are some high profile person I really do not think kidnapping is an issue going up to Caracas from Maiquetia airport.

When you pass through customs into the main hall of the airport you will most likely be bombarded by people offering everything from carry your bags to money change to taxi services-ignore all offers of help from anyone that is not duely identified as airport service people-they will be wearing I.D. badges stating this role.

Go straight to the kiosk that sells taxi fare up to Caracas and buy your ticket there. The official taxis are black SUVs that are directly outside.

You may also take the bus for a lot less money but you would need to ride it to its terminus (Parque Central) and then take a cab to Las Mercedes.

DO NOT accept services from any pirate taxi drivers no matter what cheap price they quote you.

If you can get into Caracas at an earlier hour it is better.

Las Mercedes is one of the safer areas of Caracas- just use common street sense as you would anywhere in the world.

Contact your hotel and see if they do airport pickup-many hotels do-then you will have nothing to deal with but to look for the greeter.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal to Caracas

There are many international flights arriving in late in the evening every day, so there will be many travelers like yourself heading into the city. I would not recommend taking the buses though at that time. As the previous poster advises, contact your hotel for the airport transfer or use one of the official airport cabs.

j m
Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal to Caracas

Thank you both for the replies.

What are the risks of taking an official cab at that time?

Are Express Kidnappings really something to worry about?

All travel forums say that everybody is a target and especially coming from the airport.

Then you have the movie "Secuestro Express" which only adds fuel to the fire and then there are actual events like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Du-sOM8mh4

Is this threat overly exaggerated?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal to Caracas

P L E A S E-what is this fixation with being kidnapped between the airport and Caracas?

Take a chill pill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal to Caracas

I agree - you have nothing to worry about if you just follow the recommendations above.

j m
Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal to Caracas

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

It does seem like it when you put it in writting but it's not a fixation.

Thanks for the replies.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal to Caracas

Hey, that Steve Huskey getting kidnapped video...is full of shittt. He is so off on what he is saying. Somebody wrote some interesting comments on the video by the way..

Edited: 11 August 2012, 07:42
Houston, Texas
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal to Caracas

That Steve Huskey video is right on. He not only lived there for many months, but he traveled there extensively. He could give you more specifics than you'd know what to do with.

Houston, Texas
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal to Caracas

If you do not think that kidnapping is not happening in Venezuela then you should read some of their own policies with regards to kidnapped foreigners. Having known several la guardia nacional from Venezuela, they will tell you that they were discouraged from even filing police reports on them because there were so many incidents. They also say that once you get out of Caracas or Maracaibo the kidnapping rates fall dramatically. The island of Porlamar is supposed to be beautiful and safe. I would avoid Caracas in favor of almost any other place on the planet. For the same money go to Belize, Costa Rica, or Lima.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreal to Caracas

Cory H...I can't respect your motives because you only have 2 posts, so by my standards, you are not a Trip Advisor yet. In the past we have had people here pretending to be trip advisors, but curiously, they don't advise anything... they simply say "don't go", which goes against the basic principle of travelers which is TO GO. In previous cases, the motivation has been political (to show how bad the country is under Hugo Chavez), but exaggerated.

Now on what you said, Yes, I agree that you could avoid Caracas UNLESS you have a contact, such as me, that knows the city like the palm of his hand, and knows where to go and where not to go...and how to be off the kidnappers radar. The kidnappers go for specific rich idiots. All kidnappings involve being in expensive cars, homes or apartments, nothing to do with most budget travelers. The only case of non-car kidnappings that have happened have been of rich idiots jogging in rich areas, as if they were in San Francisco. So, if you're just walking through the interesting and busy areas of the city, kidnappers will not even know you exist. So, kidnappings do happen, but it's not to the average traveler. Of the thousands of kidnappings that have happened, if you can tell me at least 10 that have happened to average travelers (not business), then I will concede. Otherwise, I will stick to my policy of letting people know the truth about Caracas...that's it's a city of millions, of all races, that through specific knowledge, enjoy and live in one of the most interesting cities in Latin-America.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 17:14
Get answers to your questions about Caracas