We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I exchange Bolivares Fuertes to Dollars in the US

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Topic
Where can I exchange Bolivares Fuertes to Dollars in the US

Hello,

I just got back from studying abroad in Venezuela, and I exchanged too many dollars while over there. I still have Bolivares Fuertes from my trip.

I tried to exchange them at the airport in Venezuela, but they wouldn't sell me any dollars, because of Government regulations. and I also wasn't able to exchange them in the Miami airport. I even contacted the Venezuelan Embassy, but they can't/won't help me. I am not planning to go back to Venezuela any time soon...

Are there any Venezuelans that would like to buy these Bolivares Fuertes from me, or does anybody know where I can exchange these Bolivares in the US? I'm located in Minneapolis, MN.

Please contact me.

Thanks.

Emily

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I exchange Bolivares Fuertes to Dollars in the US

Emily you posted the same question back in June.

The answer is the same.

There is no way to change Bs. once you are outside Venezuela.

The best idea would be to sell them to someone who is going to visit Venezuela. As you only have about $70 worth it's not going to be worthwhile trying to do a transaction long distance.

Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I exchange Bolivares Fuertes to Dollars in the US

Yes I am aware I posted the same question in June. The repost is to get more replies. I am a college student so $70 goes a long way however the legal exchange rate is 4.3 or so bolîvares per dollar. So 100 dollars would equate to 400 bolívares, which comes out to more than $70. Most people will want to exchange at a higher rate, say 8:1. Even then with 700 bolívares I would stil come out with more than $70.

Thanks though.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I exchange Bolivares Fuertes to Dollars in the US

No one who isn't a Venezuelan resident can get $$ at Bs.4,3 & then only for travel or under very strict controls.

The true rate when you are trying to buy $$ is between 9 & 10.

4. Re: Where can I exchange Bolivares Fuertes to Dollars in the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:17