We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Money

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Exchanging Money

Hi all,

I´m going to Caracas in a week´s time, I probably left it too late but thought I would check anyway.

Where can I exchange money for a better rate than the official one? Is there something to look for. I don´t want to end up doing business with a shady person who robs me and/or gives me fake money. I also don´t want to end up in trouble.

Thanks for your help,

Samantha.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging Money

Hi Samantha,

Just bring US$ is cash - preferably in 50s or 100s.

Once here you will have no trouble finding people to buy your $$.

Have $100 separately in your pocket when you arrive at the Caracas airport.

The rate should be around 27 to US$1 - maybe a little higher or lower.

Don't sweat a few Bs. either way for your first trade.

Someone will approach you.

Change $100 to have cash for your first day.

Once you are at your hotel or posada ask the owner or manager where you can change more at the best rate.

If you are staying with friends ask them.

Don't flash US$ around.

If you find a good place to change - usually a store or business owner - only change what you will need for the next days.

Remember you can't change them back easily so don't exchange more than you will need.

Hope this helps & enjoy your visit to Venezuela

2. Re: Exchanging Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 22:05
USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging Money

I just talked to hertz USA, I need a car for two weeks in Venezuela. they told me an economy car cost $196 per day , I cant waive the insurance, and MUST pay in dollars. any suggestions? I traveled every country in the western hemisphere and never heard of such a price. thanks

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging Money

Frank, see the response to your question here:

tripadvisor.com/…51010969

5. Re: Exchanging Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 05:16