We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in caracas, econo hertz car ,196 USD per day!help

USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in caracas, econo hertz car ,196 USD per day!help

I just talked to hertz USA, I need a car for two weeks in Venezuela. they told me an economy car cost $196 per day , I cant waive the insurance, and MUST pay in dollars. any suggestions? I traveled every country in the western hemisphere and never heard of such a price. actually Ive been to almost 100 countries and never paid more than $50 or $60 USD per day

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in caracas, econo hertz car ,196 USD per day!help

Hi Frank,

The reason the rate is so high is because it's based on the official exchange rate of Bs.6,4 to US$1 whereas the unofficial rate is closer to 30.

So, US$196 is the equivalent of around Bs.1.250 per day (still really expensive).

However at the unofficial rate it's only around US$45 per day.

The solution is to come to Venezuela with US$ cash to exchange while you are here.

Don't reserve a car ahead.

Wait until you arrive - there are lots of car rental agencies at the airport.

Use your credit card as a guarantee but insist on the contract in Bolivars & that you will pay the contract in Bs. cash when you bring the car back.

If you don't like the conditions at one agency go to another.

Good luck & enjoy Venezuela

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in caracas, econo hertz car ,196 USD per day!help

Hi, I answered this same question on Lonely Planet. We hired our car in Margarita so it might be different on the mainland. Went to Budget rentals by the airport (many others to choose from) and were quoted 3350 bolivares ,all inclusive for the whole week. They took a credit card imprint but said pay in BOL on return.

We were cashing our USD at 25 to the dollar, this was early June, so after a great holiday on Margarita dropped it back with no problems whatsoever. Consequently total cost for the week was approx. $135.

The imprint was returned and destroyed. Prior to delivery we checked the car over for dents ,etc and everything went smoothly on return. Would recommend

3. Re: car rental in caracas, econo hertz car ,196 USD per day!help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Caracas