We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of the Venezuelan customs!

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
K P
Caracas, Venezuela
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beware of the Venezuelan customs!

Hello! I just thought that I would share the new tricks of how the venezuelan customs at CCS airport stealing things from passengers' hand-carry!

I took the advice of dressing simple whilst in Caracas to avoid any unnecessary attention. Therefore, during my time in CCS I dressed down even when I was at the airport about to leave CCS. But I did take some luxury goods in my carry-on so that after I got off the plane in Europe I can dress in the way I normally do in a civilized country ie wearing luxury brands.

So I had a wheeled carry-on (not a designer brand but containing luxury items!) and a bag with me and I was asked to remove my belt and scarf before passing through the x-ray scan.

After I passed that, a female custom asked me to open the carry-on for her to examine. While she was checking the carry-on, suddenly, she pushed my carry-on on the floors so all the items scattered around on the floor. I was very mad as it was real rude and weird then I asked her why did you do that ( i don't speak much spanish) then she just gave me a weird look and said something in Spanish which i didn't understand.

The other passengers said something to that female staff in spanish which i didnt understand either whilst i was busy collecting all the items on the floor. As you can imagine it was a real humiliating moment for me so I did not really know how to react properly nor did I have a clear mind to think if there was anything missing.

After I got off the plane in Europe, when I was about to dress up in the bathroom then I realized that my clutch containing my euros and credit cards was missing! Only at the moment, I understood it was true that the customs at CCS were the daily robbers!!!!!!!

Also, please bear in mind that, when I tried to report it to the police in Frankfurt (where i landed), they told me that the german police had no jurisdiction on the crimes took place in Venezuela thus they could not even get me a police report!

Happy travel everyone and be more careful in CCS!

Cheers.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of the Venezuelan customs!

Sorry to hear about your misadventure in Maiquetia but it was not customs you where going through leaving the country, but rather, security. Customs will check you coming into, not leaving< the country.

Are you certain that your clutch you where missing when arriving at your destination was not overlooked by you when you repacked your carry on in CCS.

K P
Caracas, Venezuela
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of the Venezuelan customs!

Thanks for your response but I guess that even if they were the security they were also employed by the airport/ government? I think people should pay more attention when they come/ leave VEN. I thought things were going to be ok as I was leaving ... but then now I realized that you could not be 100% sure until you have landed in a civilized place i guess!

Well, someone could have taken it when I was packing but I'm very certain that after I packed everything, I did not see other items on the floor! Well, in any case, I guess they did it on purpose so that they could either took it when I was repacking or they wanted to divert my attention so I would not notice that they have taken it on the spot!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of the Venezuelan customs!

That is becoming more common these days in many places under the guise of increased security. Those of us who are Americans have become used to it as it seems to be a common thing amongst the thugs who work for TSA.

4. Re: Beware of the Venezuelan customs!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:17